Sunday, November 10, 2013

Obsidian (Lux Novel #1) Review

!!WARNING: REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS!!


Title: Obsidan                                                                           
           
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Genre: Science fiction 
                
Age Group: Young adult

My Rating: 5 / 5



Goodreads Summary:

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.


And then he opened his mouth.


Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.  

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.




My Thoughts:

Are you seriously kidding me!!!?  You are actually going to just sit there and read this review instead of heading out and buying the book right now!?  Well, if you are, then you better make sure to read this book afterwards, DO NOT FORGET IT, or I will personally track you down and make you read the book.  

Okay that's probably a little too much exaggeration, but I'm sure you get what I mean.   This is one of the most bestest of the bestest book I have probably ever read! (And yes, I know bestest is not a word, but I am still going to use it). This is not your typical " alien from outer space" science-fiction book.  This is one of those real wonderful, totally "unputdownable" books that you will probably ever read. 

This book is written as perfectly as can be.  Jennifer L. Armentrout is a great writer, and she has balanced out the whole alien-human relationship very well.  She put in just the right amount of every ingredient: suspense, mystery, action.  However, in my opinion she has added a little too much romance in this book, nothing too erotic, but still a little too much.  Actually, the romance between Katy and Daemon is great, but I think what I meant to say is that she carried out the whole "do I actually like him, does he actually like me" part for too long.  I mean, they don't actually kiss until almost towards the end of the book, but you can understand their feelings toward each other from the very beginning, but it's still okay.  

Anyway, putting all that aside, the overall story is just great.  The action between the Arum and Luxens keep things interesting, and all the silly banter between Daemon and Katy are really hilarious.  Overall, this was one of the best books that I have read,  and I couldn't wait to read the next two in the series, which I have finally finished reading and will be reviewing next. 

Now, all of you better run off and GO BUY THAT BOOK, OR BORROW IT FROM YOUR FRIEND OR LIBRARY!  You are wasting your time reading this, you don't need my opinion to know how good this book is.  However, what you do need to do is go read that book and decide for yourself whether you like it or not!

This is totally unnecessary, but I just wanted to say something about the cover models:


HAVE YOU NOTICED HOW HOT THE GUY ON THE COVER IS, AND HOW TOTALLY BREATHTAKINGLY PRETTY THE GIRL IS!?  Before I read this book, I didn't actually think that there could be a "hottest guy in the world" but now I am starting to have some second thoughts on that.  And just so you know, the cover models actually fit the description of Daemon and Katy very closely, and that is really creepy and awesome at the same time because you don't see a lot of book covers where the models actually look like the characters described in the book.  

And because I loved the cover models so much, I actually did some research on the author's blog and eventually came across this interview.  The guy is Pepe Toth, and he is a professional football player. The girl is Sztella Tziotziosz, and she is a professional model.  They are both Hungarian and are the cover models for many other books as well.  Just wanted to mention that, and if you want take a closer look at how good looking they really are, here's another cover from this book:


And here's a link to the interview:  

http://www.jenniferarmentrout.com/extras/lux-series-cover-model-interview/


Quotes From Obsidian:
And now, it's finally time for some quotes from this wonderful, hilarious book!!

"I never thought washing a car would be so hard, but after watching you for the last fifteen minutes, I'm convinced it should be an Olympic sport."
                                                                                         - Daemon

"You remind me of a little fuzzy kitten, all claws and no bite."
                                                                                          - Daemon

"Dee, I think the reason why he stares at me is because he's planning on ways to kill me and hide my body."
                                                                                           - Katy

"For starters, you're a jerk."
                                                                                             -Katy

And that concludes this super long review.  Make sure to read the book, it's really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )