Saturday, November 16, 2013

Onyx (Lux Novel #2) Review

Title: Onyx                                                                      

  Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Genre: Science fiction

Age Group: Young adult

My Rating: 4.5 / 5


Goodreads Summary:
 
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes
 
I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies



My Thoughts:

Once again Jennifer L. Armentrout has proved that she knows exactly how to hook the reader in and keep them reading until the very last page, looking for more words to read.  

This book had me staying up late just so that I could finish reading the book. There were so many unanswered questions, and the suspense and mystery was exactly what the book needed to keep the story flowing smoothly.

My favorite things about this book were once again the hilarious banter between Katy and Daemon.  They made me laugh to the point where my stomach hurt, but I still couldn't stop laughing.  Everything in this book are twice as good as the first one.

Now as with every book, there are always some things that I feel could have been taken down a notch.  For example, although the author didn't continue the whole "do I like him, does he like me" in this book, she did continue with a new "I can't possibly like him because what he feels for me couldn't possibly be real" far too long in the story.  As with the first book this doesn't end until the very ending of the book itself, where Katy finally confesses her feelings for Daemon, and admits that he really does feel the same way about her. Also, throughout the entire book Katy pushes Daemon away saying that his feelings for her weren't real because he only felt that way due to their connection.  But still, everytime Daemon kissed her, she responded and kissed him back, and once they finished kissing, she went back to pushing him away again. (Secretly, I can't really blame her for becoming a puddle and not being able to resist Daemon whenever he was around. I mean come on, seriously, who wouldn't turn into a puddle at his feet?  He is not only hot, but cocky, has an infuriating attitude, and probably one of the most nicest person you would ever meet, but that's only when he actually wants to be nice).  

Anyway, besides all that, what really puzzled me and I guess kind of annoyed me, is the fact that even after Blake put her life in danger the first time, and also indirectly caused her fingers to get burned while trying to figure what powers she had, Katy still continued to train with him. I understand why she wanted to continue training, but wouldn't it have been better if she stopped putting her life in danger by letting Blake train her?  Plus, if she really wanted to train ,Daemon could have also helped her and I am sure he would have done his best to protect Katy even while trying to train her to the best of her ability.  He wouldn't have put her life in danger just to try and train her into using her powers as a weapon or form of defense.  And one last thing, seeing that this book is young adult, I felt that some of the contents in this book were on the verge of becoming too mature, and sometimes things did get kind of heated between Katy and Daemon, but that's only sometimes.  This were probably the only things in the book that really kind of bothered me, but besides this, the overall story was good.

Overall, Onyx was a great fun read!  It had me at the "edge of my seat" and made me stay up late to finish reading the book.  The level of humor, suspense, and mystery was really well balanced, and written perfectly by Jennifer L. Armentrout.  The book was both exciting and hilarious, and I recommend it to everyone who has read the first book, Obsidian, in this Lux series.  If you still haven't read Obsidian, then I have got only one thing to say:

What in the world are you waiting for!?  Go to your nearest book store or library, and read that book!  

Trust me when I say that you will not be disappointed, although I guess that depends on what type of books you like to read, but still you should really give this series a try!


Quotes:

And now, for our daily book quotes of the...uhh....review, here are some of my favorite lines from the book!

"Daemon's ego would go through the charts if he knew."
                                                                                              - Katy

"His long legs were no match for the cramped seating.  He looked like he'd outgrown the car.  I laughed.  Daemon scowled."
                                                                                              - Katy

"Let me ask you a question.  If I kill you, will these people unfreeze?
                                                                                            - Daemon
"Wow"...."You're just now figuring that out?"
                                                                                             -Daemon 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )