Saturday, November 23, 2013

Opal (Lux Novel #3) Review

!!!WARNING: REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!


Title: Opal                                                                  

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Genre: Science fiction

Age Group: Young-adult/ Mature young-adult 

My Rating: 4.5 / 5



Goodreads Summary:

No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn't fooling around. Doubting him isn't something I’ll do again, and now that we've made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.



My Thoughts:

WOW!!  This book was one heck of a journey.  There was so much suspense, and mystery that sometimes I just wanted to skip the pages and find out what happened.  This book was super duper good!! 

As always I totally loved Katy and Daemon, although I kind of missed Dee.  She has definitely changed since the events of the last book, and not in a positive way ( I am not sure how I feel about that sudden personality change yet).  Talking about change, Blake is back and he too is very different.  In the last book, when Katy and Daemon decided to let Blake go, I was okay with that because even after his betrayal I kind of felt sorry for him, and I had liked him at the beginning of the book.  However, this time he just made me really annoyed and angry.  Plus, he still had the guts to tell Katy that he still liked her, even after all the disaster he had caused.  It was harder to figure out his character in this book because one moment he is threatening others, the next he is kind, and then he is all sad and sorrowful.  He kept on changing throughout the book, so it was hard to decide whether to trust him or not.  But outside these two character’s personality changes, the other characters were totally fantastic.  I even started to like Andrew and Ash.

The only thing that I didn’t really enjoy in the book was all the seriousness, in the last book it was kind of serious, but there were also many humorous things to balance it out.  In this book however, I felt that there could have been more humor to it.  Everything was too serious, which is good, but still, some more funny things would have helped with all my “OMG” moments.

Now the major topic: Daemon and Katy-
Honestly, I just loved Daemon and Katy, and their romance in this book is great and all.  However, there was a chapter in this book where things did get really spicy.  You can let your imagination run wild, and take a guess about what I am talking about here.  Anyway, I just think that their love for each other was really great, but certain…things didn’t need to be included in this book.  Seeing that this is a young adult book, I guess that it’s kind of okay, but in my opinion I don’t think it sets a good example to young readers. I just thought that these types of particular scenes should be something that’s in mature young-adult book, and if it’s included in books like this than it shouldn’t be so explicit, or there should be some kind of warning for the younger readers.  Either way, that’s just my opinion, and besides this little scene everything else was just great. I am so glad that Katy and Daemon are finally together!

As with the first two books, this book also ended in a cliff hanger.  I was in a serious state of denial that Jennifer L. Armentrout actually did just leave you hanging like that.  The story was at its peak height of suspense, and out of nowhere, BOOM!  The story is finished.  As much as I hate cliffhangers, I also love them.  They make the story so much more interesting.  This book is a must read!

Quotes:
And it's once again time for daily quotes of the review (Yes, I know that doesn't sound right, but that's all I could come up with).

A slow, wry smile teased Daemon’s lips.  “Simmer down, 
Kitten, before I have to get you a ball of yarn to play with."

Annoyance flared deep inside me. "Don’t start with me, jerk-face.”

 ***

 Dawson shifted, dropping his head into his hand.  "Do you ever stop talking?"

 "When I'm sleeping," Blake replied.

 "And when you're dead," Daemon threw back. "You'll stop talking when you're dead."

  Blake's lips thinned. "Point taken.”
                                                         
                                                     ***

“He’s like a suicidal Energizer bunny.”

    ***

Daemon snatched the yellow packages from my hands. “Oh! Books! You have books!”

I laughed as several people waiting in line looked over their shoulders. “Hand them over.”

He clutched them to his chest, making moony eyes. “My life is now complete.”

“My life would be complete if I could actually post a review on something other than the school library computers.”

2 comments:

  1. where can you get that book how is it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find it in amazon, barons and nobles, or in any ibookstores. The paperbacks cost around $9 to $10, and the digital ones are around $5 to $6. The book is really good, I really liked it. I should warn you though that if this is the first time you are reading the series, than this is book #3 in the Lux novels. There are two other books before it. I hope you enjoy the book! : )

      Delete

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )