Sunday, December 1, 2013

Spirit (The Elemental #3) Review

Title: Spirit (The Elementals Book #3)


Author: Brigid Kemmerer

Genre: Science fiction

Age Group: Young adult

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 


Goodreads Summary:

With power comes enemies. Lots of them.

Hunter Garrity just wants to be left alone. He’s learned the hard way that his unusual abilities come at a price. And he can’t seem to afford any allies.

He’s up to his neck in hostiles. His grandfather, spoiling for a fight. The Merrick brothers, who think he ratted them out. Calla, the scheming psycho who wants to use him as bait.

Then there’s Kate Sullivan, the new girl at school. She’s not hostile. She’s bold. Funny. Hot. But she’s got an agenda, too.

With supposedly secret powers rippling to the surface everywhere around him, Hunter knows something ugly is about to go down. But finding out what means he’ll have to find someone he can trust…



My Thoughts:

Once again Brigid Kemmerer has created a nice, suspenseful story while keeping everything else in check.

Finally getting a glimpse into Hunter's life and what it's like helps readers to better understand why Hunter is the way he is.  The story from Kate's point of view provides readers with enough suspense and mystery to keep the reader engaged throughout the book.

But still the book fell short on the interest level.  For some reason, as much as I liked the overall story, I still found some parts of it boring and slow.  And also like with the previous two books, this one also ends pretty quickly right after the climax.  When I am reading a book, I expect the ending to be a little more detailed and maybe a tiny bit long, unless the author decides to end the book with a cliffhanger, in which case it's fine.  This book however isn't like that.  Each book in the series are different from the one before it, which is why I feel that the ending should have been a tiny bit longer.

The overall story in the book was really nice, and I was able to understand Hunter way better in this book.  In the end, Hunter had officially gained my trust, and now I like him just as much as I like all the Merrick brothers.  Although this book wasn't as good as the first two, it was still a satisfying read and I am still looking forward to reading the next book.


Quotes:

“Really? So Chris turning the water ice cold while I was in the       shower was friendly?”
“Gabriel paid him twenty bucks to do that.”
Hunter smiled.
Nick added, “And then he felt like a moron when I told him he could have just turned off the hot water in the basement...”
Hunter laughed softly.
***

“Gabriel woke him up at the crack of dawn with a cup of water to the face and a kick in the ribs.”
***
“So yesterday,' said Gabriel. 'Remember when I flipped your tray?"
"No. I forgot all about it."
"Totally didn't know you'd have soup on there. Jesus, I didn't even know the cafeteria sold - "
***
“When Chris was ten, we pushed him down the stairs. This was twice as entertaining.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )