Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Origin (Lux Novel #4) Review

Title: Origin     

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Genre: Science-fiction

Age Group: young-adult

My Rating: 5 out of 5



Goodreads Summary:

Daemon will do anything to get Katy back.

After the successful but disastrous raid on Mount Weather, he’s facing the impossible. Katy is gone. Taken. Everything becomes about finding her. Taking out anyone who stands in his way? Done. Burning down the whole world to save her? Gladly. Exposing his alien race to the world? With pleasure.

All Katy can do is survive.

Surrounded by enemies, the only way she can come out of this is to adapt. After all, there are sides of Daedalus that don’t seem entirely crazy, but the group’s goals are frightening and the truths they speak even more disturbing. Who are the real bad guys? Daedalus? Mankind? Or the Luxen?

Together, they can face anything.

But the most dangerous foe has been there all along, and when the truths are exposed and the lies come crumbling down, which side will Daemon and Katy be standing on?

And will they even be together?


My Summary:

Katy has been taken by Daedalus, and the place she is at is no where close to home.  Instead, she is at Area 51, with a group of psychotic government people whose idea of making the world a safer place is by torturing Luxens, and hybrids.

Daemon, meanwhile, is going nuts about finding Katy and with nothing else to do, he turns himself in to Daedalus to be the perfect Luxen, but only on one condition.  He gets to see and be with Katy wherever she is.


What happens when Katy and Daemon are finally reunited with each other?  Things become even more horrifying and real than anyone could have ever imagined.  Daemon is being forced to heal and mutate humans who cause themselves near death injuries.  Both voluntarily and involuntarily.  And Daemon can't do anything to stop it either, because if he doesn't cooperate Daedalus will hurt Katy, and he can't let that happen.  Ever.


The stories Daedalus feeds them while being kept captive are not only horrifying, but also seems to be true.  But is Daedalus really telling the truth or are they being manipulative, again?


With truck loads of questions, and not enough answers, Katy and Daemon struggle to not break down and keep each other strong.  But when the moment of escape finally arrives, that too with the help of an not only strong, but powerful ally, can Katy and Daemon really trust him?  Or will they be betrayed again, like with Blake? But most importantly, their escape comes with a great prize- something that could either be totally helpful or totally destructible for all the humans residing on Earth.


With time running out, and everyone on the run, will Katy and Daemon be able to save themselves and the ones they love, let alone all the other humans on Earth before it's too late?


And what will happen when all the things that Daedalus had been saying and warning about finally comes true?  Will anyone survive?


My Thoughts:

I can't believe that actually happened.  This book was one big roller coaster of emotions, actions, and romance, and the tone of the book and the overall story was also a bit more serious than the previous three books, even with all the humor involved.

As usual, I love Katy and Daemon and the fact that these book had alternate points of view from both Daemon and Katy was an extra plus for me.  And I have also come to like Archer, a new character we are introduced to, as well as some previous characters who were mentioned very briefly, especially Luc and Paris.  Even Andrew and Ash grew on me, and that was something that I had never expected to happen.  But as usual Jennifer l. Armentrout has outdone herself and written the book in such a way that by the end I was left wanting the next book right away and just speechless.


As with the previous book, Opal, the romance between Katy and Daemon were heated, and things did get kind of erotic.  More than once.  And although I'd rather not exactly read those parts, and at any other times I would have complained, kind of, but this time I didn't really care because the rest of the story was just so, so, so good.  Also, in this book we get some surprising news toward the end about Beth and Dawson.  What that news is I won't tell you, but trust me when I say that you will be surprised when you read it.  I personally found that little news to be very cute, even though technically it's not the best example for teenagers.  And there's also a big surprise with Katy and Daemon's relationship.  I thought it was kind of crazy, especially since it wasn't even in their own names, but I understand why they did it.


Overall, this was once again another one of Jennifer l. Armentrout's best books, and I can't wait to read the next one, which sadly also happens to be the last book in the series.


If you haven't read the Lux Novels yet, you really, really, really should give it a chance.  You have no idea what you are missing out on.  This is a great book series and Jennifer L. Armentrout is an great writer.


Quotes:

“As close as you’re riding me, man, I feel like I need to take you out to dinner or something. At least, I should get your name.” He punched in a floor number, smirking.
“People call me Archer.”
***

“I've been waiting a long time to run tests on someone like you, " he said to Daemon, voice high-pitched.
Daemon arched a brow. "Another fanboy. I have them everywhere."
I muttered, "Only you would see that as a good thing."
He shot me a grin.”
***

“I’m Dee Black. I’m the sister of the douchebag known as Daemon.” She smiled brightly. “But you probably already know that.”
“That’s he’s a douchebag or that he’s your brother?” Archer asked innocently. “The answer is yes to both.”
***

“I took a step forward, rage swirling inside me.
“You broke into Mount Weather?” Hunter choked out a laugh. “Are you insane?”
“Shut up,” I said, keeping my eyes on Luc.
Hunter made a deep noise. “Our little mutual white flag of friendship is going to come to a halt if you tell me to shut up again.”
I spared him a brief glance. “Shut. Up.”
Dark shadows drifted over the Arum’s shoulder, and I faced him fully. “What?” I said, throwing my hands up in a universal come get some. “I have a lot of pent-up violence I’d love to take out on someone.”
“Guys.” Luc sighed, sliding off the bar. “Seriously? Can’t you two bro-mance it out?”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )