Sunday, December 8, 2013

Unearthly (Unearthly #1) Review


Title: Unearthly               

Author: Cynthia Hand

Genre: Paranormal- Fiction

Age Group: young-adult

My Rating: 4.5 / 5



Goodreads Summary:

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees...

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.


My Thoughts:

If I were to write two pages explaining how I felt about this book, would you guys actually read it?  Because honestly I don't know how else to explain just how good this book is in one page, but I'll try.  This is one of those "I REALLY LOVED IT AND CAN'T WAIT TO READ THE NEXT BOOK" type of book.

Alright, so I am going to switch this up a little and get the con(s) part of this book out of the way first, and than I'll proceed to the pros.  I only had two complaints, or rather two things that bothered me about this book: 


One would be Christian.  Seeing that he is part of Clara's vision, I kind of was expecting to get to know him a little bit more.  But Clara spent most of her time with either Angela, Tucker, or her mom.  I felt that Christian despite being one of the main characters in the story, didn't really have those spotlight moments that the main characters get, and at the end I felt like I didn't really know Christian that well as a character.  We get to see a lot more of Christian in the second book, but I felt that Cynthia Hand should have also developed Christian's character in the first book, so that the readers had a better understanding of who he is, and what his part in the books are.  


The second thing that was continuosly bothering me throughout the story was Angela.  I just couldn't figure out her character, and throughout the entire story I was stuck between trying to decide if Angela could be trusted or not.  Seeing that Angela was the offspring of a human and a Black Wing, I kind of thought that Angela would be more of the evil Black Wing type, since her concentration of angel blood came from a Black Wing.  However, it was impossible for me to decide because Angela was both sweet, humorous, kind, but at the same time she was also very persistent, and too eager to learn more about angels from Clara's mother.  Also in the story it was mentioned that Angela has never met another part angel like herself, and only once saw a real angel.  However, Angela was still the most knowledgeable one, and she knew the most about angels.  To me that was kind of suspicious, especially since she claimed that she only met a real angel once, and never met another part angle before she met Clara.  I am not sure if the author did that on purpose, but I am glad that Angela wasn't evil after all.  Did anyone else that's familiar with the story feel that way, or is it just me?


Moving on to the pros part of this book:


The pace that the story moved in was just fantastic.  Usually, in many of the books that I read the pacing was either too slow, too fast, or both.  However, this book was just perfect.  Cynthia Hand wrote the story in such a way that it kept the reader hooked from the beginning, and the story was neither fast, nor slow.  It was exactly how a story needs to be.


I loved, loved, loved the story line.  I have only read one other angel book and that's Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick.  Although I liked that book too, Nora kind of annoyed me and the story didn't really interest me as much as this one did.  This storyline was very original, and it wasn't just another good angels vs. fallen angels.  It was much, much more than that.  This book deals with first love, and destiny vs. own choice.  Clara really amazed me, she is one of those inspiring characters, and I understood many of the things that she felt, and I was also able to relate to her.  And the story is hilarious, it has it's serious moments, but the tone of the story for the most part was light and funny.


Overall, this is a must read for every paranormal fiction readers, and even for those that don't like to read angle books.  Cynthia Hand is a great writer and her books are simply fantastic.


Quotes:

“Tucker," I say. "I'm so glad you're still here."
I throw myself into his arms. He hugs me tightly.
"I couldn't leave," he says.
"I know."
"I mean, literally. I don't have a ride.”
***

“Hey, you feel like driving today?" he asks. "I don't want to walk to the bus stop. It's too cold."
"You feel like dying today?"
"Sure. I like risking my life. Keeps things in perspective.”
***

“Well he should get over himself. He tried to get me burned at the stake in Brit History yesterday. Here I am minding my own business like a good little girl, and out of the blue Tucker raises his hand and accuses me of being a witch"
"sounds like something Tucker would do" admits Wendy.
"Everybody had to vote on it. I barely escaped with my nuns life. Obviously I'll have to return the favour.”
***
“Sorry I'm late. I had to drag some Californians out of a snowbank.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )