Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #1) Review

Title: The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer

Author: Michelle Hodkin

Genre: mystery/paranormal fiction

Age Group: young adult

My Rating: 4.5 / 5



Goodreads Summary:


Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.

She’s wrong.


My Thoughts:

The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer is the first book in Michelle Hodkin's Mara Dyer Trilogy.

This is the first book that I have read that is both mystery and paranormal fiction, and I just loved it.  Michelle Hodkin's writing captures the reader's attention from the very beginning and keeps the reader hooked until the end.

The story is written in such a way that you can feel everything that Mara is feeling throughout the story.  I was actually able to put myself in Mara shoes and feel everything that she was feeling, from scared, to frustrated, sad, happy, proud, angry, terrified, you name it.  There was so much emotion in this book and it deals with things like PTSD, and getting over something as traumatic as your friends death from an accident that only you survived.

I am so glad that I read this book because all the characters were written and developed so well, and the story itself was so fantastic.  It was kind of slow at times, but reading until the end was definitely worth it, and that twist was just what the story needed to make it even more great.

The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer is a story that will hunt you long after it's finished and leave you wanting to read the sequel right away.

Quotes:


“Fix me," I commanded him. "This thing, what I've done - there's something wrong with me, Noah. Fix it."

Noah's expression broke my heart as he brushed my hair from my face, and skimmed the line of my neck. "I can't"

"Why not?" I asked, my voice threatening to crack.

"Because," he said, "You're not broken.”

***

“You're supposed to say, 'All I want is your happiness. I'll do whatever it takes, even if it means being without you.'"
"Sorry," Noah said. "I'm just not that big of a person.”

***

“Where are you going?”
“My God, you’re like the plague.”
“A masterfully crafted, powerfully understated, and epic parable of timeless moral resonance? Why, thank you. That’s one of the nicest things anyone’s ever said to me,” he said.
“The disease, Noah. Not the book.”
“I’m ignoring that qualification.”

***

“Have you made any other friends since we've been here?"
I gave him the death stare. "Yes, actually."
"Who? I want a name."
"Jamie Roth."
"The Ebola kid? I heard he's a little unstable."
"That was one incident.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )