Monday, February 24, 2014

Death, Doom, And Detention (Darklight Series #2) Book Review

!!!WARNING: REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS ABOUT BOOK #1 AND THIS BOOK IN THIS SERIES!!!

Title: Death, Doom, And Detention


Author: Darynda Jones

Genre: Paranormal fiction

Age Group: Young adult

My Rating: 4 / 5

Goodreads Summary:


The normal part of Lorelei MacAlister’s life didn’t just slip away quietly the day Jared Kovach came to town. Nope. The normal part of her life shattered. It exploded. It burst into a gazillion shards of fleeting light.

It went out with a bang.

Goodbye normal.

Hello dark and eerie.

While her best friend, Brooklyn, is focusing all of her energy on helping Lorelei hone her abilities, Lorelei is dealing with the reality that Satan’s second in command has taken up residence inside her body. Oh, and the fact that she has a crush on the Angel of Death. But what a beautiful death it is. If those weren’t bad enough, something sinister has come to town and it wants nothing more than to hear Lorelei’s dying breath as it strangles it out of her. Thank goodness the gang has a supernatural champion. But what happens when the only being who can save them switches sides midstream? How can a group of misfits capture one of the most powerful beings ever created? And will they find out how to bring Jared back to them before it’s too late?


My Thoughts:

Like the first book in the series, Death And The Girl Next Door (click on the link to read my review), Darynda Jones has once again created another wonderfully written story.

This book did not disappoint, and it picked up a few weeks after where the first book left off.  And as usual the characters were hilarious and so fun to read.  I was especially glad that the bickering between Cameron and Glitch was preserved, and that [SPOILER ALERT] even after Cameron and Brooke finally got together the funny bickering between them also remained.

There was twice of everything in this book that was included in the first book.  Twice the humor, suspense, action, romance, you name it.  We got to see a bit more of Cameron, which I was really thrilled about, but at the same time I felt that Glitch wasn't present as much throughout the story, which was kind of sad because I really liked his character.

Overall, the book was fantastic and I would definitely recommend others to read it as well.  The story did kind of slow down at times, but overall it was really good, and I really enjoyed reading it!

Quotes: 


“You’re one of us. You’re nephilim. Why are you fighting with that thing?”
“I’m not one of you.” Cameron raked a cold gaze over him. “You’re a copy of a copy.” He threw back his shoulders. “I’m the real deal, bitch.”
***



“Hypothermia. That’s what they called it. I called it being freaking alive, and I couldn’t have been more grateful.”
***



“Really?” Cameron asked as he looked me up and down, his expression full of mirth. “You thought you could sneak away from us by using the front door?” “Shut up.” “Stealthy. You’re like a ninja.” He chuckled.
***



Brooklyn glanced at me, her eyes pleading. “Can I tell him? Please? I’ll do your algebra homework.” With a snort, I said, “I would let you kick him in the face for a free homework night. Deal.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )