Tuesday, February 11, 2014

My Life Next Door Book Review


Title: My Life Next Door

Author: Huntley Fitzpatrick

Genre: Contemporary romance

Age Group: Young adult

My Rating: 3.5 / 5


Goodreads Summary:

"One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A transporting debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another.


My Thoughts:

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick is a sweet, hot book about first love, family, and the difficult decisions between right and wrong, and family and love.

The overall story was interesting, and the love between Jase and Samantha was well paced and sweet, things were heated up between them towards the middle of the book, but the sweetness of their love remained throughout.  

I loved the Garret family.  They were funny, cute, and the close family relationship between them was truly remarkable and sweet. Meanwhile, I found Samantha and her family to be a very unique and complex family. It was obvious that Samantha's mom cared about her children and it was shown throughout the book.  However, at the same time I felt that Samantha's mom was also very absent from her children's life.  Huntley Fitzpatrick created the character of Samantha's mom in such a nice complex way, that it left the final decision to the reader to decide whether to like or dislike Ms. Reed.  This was one of my favorite aspects of the book, the way Fitzpatrick wrote the character of Samantha's mom was truly amazing.

Moving on, you must be wondering that if I liked the book so much, than why did I rate it as only 3.5 out of 5.  The answer to that, fellow readers, is that as much as the story was interesting and unique, I felt that the overall pace of the entire story was a bit slow and boring.  Some of the chapters or scenes that were in the book wasn't really needed, in my opinion.  I think the book would have been equally good if it didn't involve unnecessary chapters or scenes,  they were more of a way to make the story longer than to add to it.  You might have a different opinion, but that was how I felt, and therefore at times the story seemed kind of slow and boring to me.  That was pretty much the only reason this book didn't get a 4 or 5 rating, or was that two reasons?

Anyway, the overall book and story was pretty interesting and unique.  If your looking for a new unique and sweet book to read, than this is definitely a book that you should pick up.  Fitzpatrick is a wonderful writer and has a nice way of hooking the reader to the book from the first sentence.

Quotes:

“The Garretts were my bedtime story, long before I ever thought I’d be part of the story myself.”
***

“I cannot help but wonder if any parents ever actually schedule in adolescent drama on their day planners. Looks like a slow week, Sarah. I guess I can pencil in your eating disorder.”
***

“Our house contains all that’s high-end and high-tech and shiny clean. And three people who would rather be somewhere else.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )