Sunday, March 9, 2014

White Hot Kiss (Dark Elements #1) Review

Title: White Hot Kis

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
            
Genre: Paranormal Romance/ Paranormal Fiction

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

Goodreads Summary: 
One kiss could be the last.

Seventeen-year-old Layla just wants to be normal. But with a kiss that kills anything with a soul, she's anything but normal. Half demon, half gargoyle, Layla has abilities no one else possesses. 
Raised among the Wardens—a race of gargoyles tasked with hunting demons and keeping humanity safe—Layla tries to fit in, but that means hiding her own dark side from those she loves the most. Especially Zayne, the swoon-worthy, incredibly gorgeous and completely off-limits Warden she's crushed on since forever.
Then she meets Roth—a tattooed, sinfully hot demon who claims to know all her secrets. Layla knows she should stay away, but she's not sure she wants to—especially when that whole no-kissing thing isn't an issue, considering Roth has no soul.

But when Layla discovers she's the reason for the violent demon uprising, trusting Roth could not only ruin her chances with Zayne…it could brand her a traitor to her family. Worse yet, it could become a one-way ticket to the end of the world
.




My Thoughts: 

I honestly don't even know where to begin.  I just loved this book.  I loved the characters, the story line, plot, I loved everything about this freaking book!!  Ok, it's going to be hard to put all my thoughts down because they are all over the place now, so I am going to break this up into groups.


Characters:

There are so many characters in this book!  As usual, Jennifer wrote and portrayed each character really well.  These are some of my favorite characters from the book:

Roth
your all time hot bad boy upper level demon who also happens to be the crown prince of hell.  He has a tendency to annoy Layla a lot and is a complete show off, but when he wants to be he can be very caring and kind as well.  We get to read a lot about him in the book! (Don't you love him already?)

Zayne
Layla's best friend, and hot pure warden.  Unfortunately, he isn't as present in the book as much as I would have liked him to be.  However, it's evident that he is fiercely protective and caring about Layla.  There were times in the story where I felt that he was being very insensitive, but I can't really blame him for it.  This isn't your typical love triangle, and in this book Layla and Zayne are just best friends.  There wasn't really any big declaration of love for one another from either of them, and I am totally fine with that because right now I am on team Roth.  Don't know if that will stay the same in the future books, since Jennifer likes to pull new surprises every time!

Layla
I totally understood the way she felt.  Sometimes she acted very childish, and while that annoys me most of the time, I was totally okay with Layla acting that way because I knew how she felt and why she was so insecure.  She is a great character and I just loved her.

Abbot
He is the head of the Washington D.C. clan, Zayne's father, and the one who also brought Layla up and cared for her.  He is strict but also kind of caring.  He is just very old tradition and refuses to see or believe in something that has been taught to be impossible but actually isn't.

Sam & Stacy-
Layla's super duper funny and supportive human friends.  They love Layla no matter what, and has a tendency to fight with each other a lot!


Jennifer is one of the those writers that makes the characters in the book seem so real that you can't help but connect with them.  I have read books before in which the characters felt very dead to me, and I hated that.  This book is nothing like that! All the characters were very alive and it was really fun reading about them.


Story Line/ Elements/ Plot: 

I don't know about you, but I have never read a book about gargoyles before, so to me the story line for this book was very original.

Like with all her book's, this one was also filled with action, romance, suspense, and so many twists and turns!

The main plot was also very original, and the suspense!  All the suspense and actions in this book were over the roof!

If you read this book, you will know what I mean!  I have no words to describe how good everything in this book is!  My most favorite and the worst part of this book was during the last action scene/ main plot part.  Something happens to a particular character and I am very angry about it!  If he/she does not come back in the second book, I don't know what I am going to do.

Overall, the main plot, along with all the other twists and turns in this book,  and all the suspense, romance, and action makes this a great book to read!  Oh, and I almost forget, this book is also filled with endless humor, even during the worst of the worst situations.  Every book that I have ever read by Jennifer has always made me laugh, and this one was no different.


Overall Story:

It never fails to amaze me what a great writer Jennifer is.  Every book that I have read by her so far were one of the best books that I have ever read, and this one is definitely one of my all time favorite.

This story was very different.  Jennifer once again took something so fictional and turned it into something so real.  I have never read a book like this before, so I felt that the storyline was pretty original with all the gargoyles and wardens.  And as with all her books, there was of course tons of romance involved.  

Everything was written perfectly, and the pacing of the story was never too slow or too fast.  It was just the right pacing that this story needed to flow smoothly.  There were lots of actions and suspense.

She wrote each character in such a way and the way she portrayed them made it very easy for me as a reader to understand each character and empathize/sympathize with most of them, especially Layla.  I totally understood the way Layla felt, and I was so happy for her when Roth finally arrived.  The story got even more better after his arrival.

But of course, as with all her books, Jennifer just had to try and kill her reader with those terrible (awesome) cliffhangers.  Oh, how I hate you killer cliffhangers!  The ending, well a little before the ending, during the really major action scene something happens to a particular character that almost left me in tears.  Hell, it probably did leave me in tears, but I can't really can't remember because it was late at night when I finally finished reading the book and I was so tired, I fell right to sleep afterwards!  Either way, waiting for the second book to come out is really starting to annoy me.  I need to read the second book right now!  I am still suffering from book hangovers, and it never lasts this long!  I finished reading this book last Sunday, and I am still stuck in it.  Seriously, the first thing I am going to do once Stone Cold Touch comes out is steal my sister's card and buy the book, considering that she is her stubborn and unreasonable self and won't let me borrow the money to buy the book.

I am serious guys!  You need to read this book, it's one of the best!  You may hate it or you may like it, but please, please, please just read this book at least once!  It's that good!

Quotes:

"You are running anyway." The Upper Level demon sighed. "Even after I asked you not to, and I think I was really nice about it." He glanced at the Seeker, frowning. "Wasn't I nice?"

***

"What a strange place to nap when you have this great thing called a bed."

***

"Several students groaned while I pictured stabbing my pen into the back of Roth's head."


***

Roth snatched the hand out of the air, face incredulous. "Did you just throw this at my head?  My head?  Are you insane?" 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )