Friday, April 11, 2014

Follow Friday #3

Alison Can Read Feature & Follow
Gain new followers and make new friends with the Book Blogger Feature & Follow!


The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of Parajunkee's View and Alison of Alison Can Read.






This Week's Question:


Tell us about a book that you didn’t like and why we shouldn’t read it (as nicely and respectfully as possible)


My Response:

So, a couple months ago I was going through B&N nook bookstore for new books to download, and I came upon the book Guardians: The Girl by Lola St.Vill.  It was free and had an overall good rating and decent reviews, so I decided to give it a try.  Turns out, the few people that claimed to not like the book and pointed out its many flaws were right.  I know many people are hesitant to pick up a free ebook because there's always a chance that it might be horrible and waste of time, and sometimes it is, but for the most part many of the ebooks I read are free and they are actually really good.  This book on the other hand however, totally sucked, for me at least.  

The main character Emmy was just so childish and immature.  She annoyed me throughout the entire book.  First, she has an instant obsession with Marcus, one of the angels who happens to already have a girlfriend.  She knows nothing about him, never saw him or talked to him before in her life, but still the moment she saw him she has an instant crush on him.  A majority of the story focuses on her feelings for Marcus and how she "loves" him but can't have him because he is dating someone else.  Basically, it was insta-love, which is something I am not a fan of reading in books.  Then, out of nowhere she kisses him during a car ride, runs away and hides in her apartment because she is so embarrassed, and when she goes back to school, she apologizes to his girlfriend, and guess what?  Marcus's girlfriend actually forgives Emmy and everything is rainbows and sunshine.  But, Emmy once again decides to make things complicated and makes a deal with Marcus and his friends to do them a favor, but only if Marcus takes her out on a date.  As you can guess, that does not go over well with his girlfriend, and she physically attacks Emmy.  But instead of telling Emmy no, Marcus punishes his girlfriend for trying to hurt Emmy.  Oh, and did I mention that Marcus also has instant feelings for Emmy from the moment he sees her?  This would have been a good book, because the plot and story line was actually kind of interesting, but the whole thing with Emmy and Marcus and their insta-love just ruined the book for me.  It's not one that I would recommend or ever read again!  The main characters, both the male and female were just so annoying, that at one point I literally wanted to knock some sense into their mind.  Seriously, books like this are not my cup of tea, and they just give me a headache at the end!





12 comments:

  1. old follower here! Just popping by to say have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you have a good weekend too!

      Delete
  2. Eh, sounds like something I'd rather not read either.


    Great post! I'm a new follower! Xx.

    My FF Post.

    My blog link.

    - Cary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand that! I probably won't read the book, but I get very nervous sometimes when I get a freebie book. I'm scared it's free for a reason, and not really a good reason. But sometimes I find really good ones. So it's almost a fifty fifty shot which one I will get.

    New follower via GFC, and Google+
    My F&F
    Whitney@Shooting Stars Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I am also hesitant at picking up freebie books, and only get the ones with a lot of high rating and good reviews. Thankfully, most of the ones I get are actually really good, except for maybe one or two!

      Thanks for stoping by and following you back through Google+.

      Delete
  4. Hopping through. I usually stay away from freebies too. I have had too many bad experiences.
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind picking up freebies, because most of my ebooks are ones that I downloaded for free, and they happen to be really good! But every once in a while I pick up a book like this, and it's just a total waste of my time!

      Delete
  5. Happy FF! I am always a grabbing the freebies off amazon and iTunes however u are right some are good some are duds. New GFC follower.
    ♥Brittany
    Follow me here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I stopped by your blog and the design is really cute!

      Delete
  6. Yeah, I would hate any book with such an annoying main character!!


    New GFC follower! :)

    Our FFF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Thanks for stopping by, and nice response! ; )
      Following you back through GFC.

      Delete

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )