Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars Review

So, I read this book awhile back, but I never got around to writing the review for it.  Actually, there's a lot of books which I still need to write a review for, but in the meanwhile here's my review for this book!  By the way, if you haven't read this book yet, you really, really need to!  It's one of the most heartbreaking but best books you will probably ever read.  Just a quick warning, I have a lot to say about this book so you can count on this review being kind of long! ; )

Title: The Fault In Our Stars 
                          
Author: John Green

Genre: Contemporary Romance


Age Group: Young Adult


My Rating: 5.5 / 5



Goodreads Summary:

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.


I felt that the summary for this book was too vague and short, so I wrote my own summary of the book which is a little bit longer and more detailed.
My Summary:

Hazel Grace is sixteen years old and guaranteed to die sometime in the future.  She was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at age thirteen, and now at age sixteen, her only best friends are her parents and Phillip- her oxygen tank that helps her breathe.

In an attempt to make her socialize more with others her age, her mom makes her go to a cancer support group, despite Hazel's protests.  It's there that Hazel first meets the funny and poetic Augustus Waters, who used to also have cancer but is thankfully now free of it at the cost of a leg.

Hazel had already made up her mind about letting other people into her life, because she believes that the more people that loves her, the more they will get hurt when she dies.  But despite that mindset, Hazel still finds herself falling for Augustus Waters.

But even as their friendship grows, and they fall in love with each other, life still isn't perfect.  With Hazel and her ever present cancer, should she really let Augustus into her life?  And even if she does, is it worth letting herself fall in love with Augustus, when she knows that in the end it will only end up hurting him even more?

And when she does finally decide to let Augustus in, life also decides to take a sudden turn.  In a twist of fate, it's no longer Augusts that's in danger of getting hurt, but Hazel instead.  And yet, she is willing to take that hurt because, "You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you."

My Thoughts:

Three words: I LOVED THIS BOOK!!

Okay, so that was technically four words, but whatever.  This was the first ever John Green book that I have read and it was amazing!  


Characters-

The characters were well developed, and I just loved Hazel and Augustus!  They went through so much, but yet they are so funny and high spirited.  They weren't ones to drown in self pity, and despair.  Nope, not at all.   Instead they live through it and go on with their everyday life,  and they are also very humorous, and caring. 

I am not saying that they are okay with having cancer or missing a leg, because they aren't okay with it.  They also want a normal life as can be without so much problems, but they do have these problems and they deal with it as best as they can.  I loved how they turned even the worst situations into humorous ones, and found a way to laugh even when the situation was so bleak.

As for the supporting characters, Issac was my favorite!  He was just so funny, and caring.  You could tell that he and Augustus were really good best friends.  The other characters, mainly Hazel's and Augustus's parents were also developed very well, and I loved how I could understand their point of view and how they felt about the whole situation just from their actions and dialogues.

John Green has a way of writing all the characters in such a way, that you can feel what all the other characters besides Hazel and Augustus, are going through and how they feel without having to read the story from their perspective.  To me, that was very good writing and it made the story ten times better.


Main plot/ Resolution-

I would be lying if I said that I loved the twist John Green brought upon the characters, and how everything turned out at the end, because I really didn't.  I hated it, and it broke my heart reading all the pages from the point where everything starts going downhill, until the very last page.  I just hated it, and by the time I finally finished reading the book, I was a crying my eyes out.

However, at the same time I would also by lying if I said that I truly did hate the main plot and resolution, because that's also not true.

Truth be told, I actually thought the plot twist was brilliant, and even if the ending was totally not the way I would have liked things to have turned out, it was still really good.  But my main reason for still loving this book so much, despite it breaking my heart and making me cry was because it stayed realistic to life, even though the book is fiction.  It was a perfect portrayal of how life is not perfect, and how things can drastically change and go downhill in a matter of seconds.

As a reader and fan of this book, I really cared about the characters and hated that they all had to go through so much suffering and pain.  But in the end, I loved how the overall story portrayed life and death, and how life is not perfect for some people, and how things can change for the better or worse at any point in people's lives.

The plot twist in this book was bitter, and the ending even worse, but it was also the best, and part of what made this book a favorite of mine.  Overall, the plot and resolution of this book was "imperfectly perfect" and just what the book needed to make it such a big success.

Overall Thoughts-

The Fault In Our Stars is a must read!

But be warned, if you decide to read this book you will most definitely cry!  However, that shouldn't stop you from reading this book because it really is one of the best books you might ever read.

The story is unique and bittersweet, but at the same time really funny and heartbreaking.  You will be able to feel and connect with all the characters, and not just Hazel, even though the book is from her point of view.  The only reason I gave this book a rating of 5.5 / 5 instead of a 6 is because I felt that the beginning portion of this book was kind of slow at times, but once you get past that, the book is truly amazing!

Seriously, I know I am repeating myself here, but if you haven't read the book yet, you really should because it is one of the best books!


Quotes:

“But it is the nature of stars to cross, and never was Shakespeare more wrong than when he has Cassius note, ‘The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves.”

***
“Gus: "It tastes like..."
Me: "Food."
Gus: "Yes, precisely. It tastes like food, excellently prepared. But it does not taste, how do I put this delicately...?"
Me: "It does not taste like God Himself cooked heaven into a series of five dishes which were then served to you accompanied by several luminous balls of fermented, bubbly plasma while actual and literal flower petals floated down around your canal-side dinner table."
Gus: "Nicely phrased."
Gus's father: "Our children are weird."
My dad: "Nicely phrased.”  

***


“You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you.” 

***

“Thank you for explaining that my eye cancer isn't going to make me deaf. I feel so fortunate that an intellectual giant like yourself would deign to operate on me.”  

***

“Augustus, perhaps you’d like to share your fears with the group.”
“My fears?”
“Yes.”
“I fear oblivion,” he said without a moment’s pause. “I fear it like the proverbial blind man who’s afraid of the dark.”
“Too soon,” Isaac said, cracking a smile.
“Was that insensitive?” Augustus asked. “I can be pretty blind to other people’s feelings.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )