Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Half-Blood (The Covenant #1) Review

Title: Half Blood

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Genre: Paranormal Fantasy

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 5 / 5


Goodreads Summary:

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals--well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.


My Thoughts:

This was one of the best books that I have ever read, and I fell in love with this series.  I finished reading this book a couple of months ago, and the entire series just last month, but due to tests, projects, homework, etc. I never got around to writing the review.

This book was just perfect!  I love JLA's writing and her stories.  These books have everything that you would want to read all rolled up in one big bunch.  Every single book I have read of JLA's are just fantastic, and filled with heartwarming and heartbreaking romance, suspense, action, shocking twists at every turn, and so much more!  This book was no different.

It's a great book, and I loved the characters, especially Alex and Aiden.  These two were just so damn cute! And Deacon and Caleb were HILARIOUS.  I don't know how Jennifer manages to write such great characters every time! She is so talented, and the way she developed the character's personalities throughout the entire book, instead of just all at once was amazing.  She is one of the only authors whose books have been able to make me fell really strong and raw emotions.  I was right there with Alex, and I felt almost everything that she was going through in the book.  For me, that is a sign of great writing.

This book had me hooked from the beginning till the end!  The suspense and all the emotions in this book was just over the top.  Overall, this book was just AMAZINGLY FANTASTIC!  I loved this book, and it is definitely one of my all time favorite!
  

Quotes:

“So? What are you going to do about it? Throw your mashed potatoes at me? I'm consumed by terror.”

***

“Hey,” I reached out and tapped the hand that rested next to my left leg. “you are--”
The hand that I tapped reached up and clasped mine. I froze as he threaded his finders through mine. “I’m what?”
Beautiful. Kind. Patient. Perfect. I said none of those things. Instead, I stared at his fingers, wondering if he knew he was holding my hand. “You’re always so….”
His thumb moved over the top of my hand. The balm made his fingers cool and smooth. “What?”
I looked up, and I was immediately snared. His stare, his soft touch along my hand was doing very strange things. I felt hot and dizzy, like I’d been out in the sun all day. All I could think about was how his hand felt on mine. Then, what his hand would feel like on other parts. I shouldn’t be thinking that at all.
Aiden was a pure.” 


***

“Jeez, how old are you?” I totally knew how old he was, but I wanted to pick. 
Aiden cracked his neck. “I turn twenty-one in October.”
“Huh.” I shook the bottle. “So have you always been so… mature?”
His brows furrowed. “Mature?”
“Yeah, you sound like a dad.” I deepened my voice and tried to look stern. “‘Don’t look at me that way’ or else.”
Aiden blinked slowly. “I don’t sound like that and I didn’t say ‘or else.’”
“But if you had, what would the ‘or else’ be?” I hid my grin with the bottle.”


***

“I think that's possibly the nicest thing you have said to me. Ever."
I laughed. "No it's not. I've said nice things to you before."
"Like what?"
There had to be another situation when I'd said something nice. "Like... when... " I couldn't think of anything. Jeez, I was a bitch. "Okay. That is the first nice thing I've said to you."
"I think I need a moment to recognize and cherish this.”


 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like a great book! I'll add it to my TBR pile. Great review; I love all the quotes!

    ~Pam @ Moonlight Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was a really great book! : )

      Delete

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )