Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pure (The Covenant #2) Review

Title: Pure (The Covenant Series #2)

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Genre: Paranormal Fantasy

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 3.75 / 5


Goodreads Summary:

There is need. And then there is Fate. Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's other half is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her. When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon--and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude--or killing her. When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.



My Thoughts:

After reading Half-Blood, I had to get Pure right away.  The few weeks of waiting for the book to arrive at the library was just agonizing!

However, unlike the first book, Pure didn't really live up to my expectations.  I am not saying that it wasn't a good book or that it was disappointing, because honestly can anything written by Jennifer L. Armentrout ever be disappointing? But it just wasn't what I had expected.

The writing was as always over the top awesome.  I loved Alex, who is still the same wild and kick ass yet caring self.  But I was disappointed in Aiden.  I can't believe he was such a jerk to her in one of the scenes.  I mean I understand why he did it, but seriously?  I just got really annoyed at him in this book, especially since it's clear that he really cares and loves Alex, but still won't confess or tell her the truth.  I don't know, maybe I am just frustrated that Alex and Aiden aren't together yet, but I was seriously mad at Aiden for hurting Alex like that and just letting her go.  It's a good thing that I still like Aiden, even after how much he annoyed me.  Now, moving on to Seth... I don't where to start.  He is SUPER ANNOYING, a jerk but still so funny and caring even if he acts otherwise.  But those scenes between him and Alex, they were just hilarious.

This book had it funny and serious moments, but compared to the first book I felt that this one was kind of slow overall.  The writing is still great, and I loved the story but it was just missing something... I am not sure what that something is exactly, but this book didn't live up to the way that the first book had done.

But despite all  that, I still loved this book and couldn't wait to read the next one!


Quotes:

“You know what? Lets go." I shot Aiden a defiant look. "Come on Seth. Let's go continue our lovers' quarrel."
"Yes my love, that sounds fantastic. Don't forget to grab a dagger so you can poke my eyeballs out.” 



***


“How in the world did they just jump from politics, to a ball, and now to daimon attacks? And here I’d thought I had the attention span of an ant on Red Bull."


***


“Aiden followed my gaze. “Leon, that one there counts half for me. So that’s six and a half.” Then he pivoted around, heading toward another daimon who had a Guard pinned on the floor.
Leon shrugged. “That’s okay. I have ten, loser."



***

“I wouldn't give up being a Sentinel for the world. Or being the Apollyon. I rock."
"Wow. You're so humble.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )