Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Sweet Oblivion (Sweet Series #1) Review

Title: Sweet Oblivion

Author: Bailey Ardison

Genre: Paranormal Fiction

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 5 / 5
  

Goodreads Summary:

When two worlds collide, nightmares become reality. And some secrets...
are best kept in Oblivion.
 

...Until there is hope.

Have you ever wanted to forget? Nariella Woodlinn has. Many times. Especially when her already frustrating life gets turned upside down by a mysterious boy who randomly shows up in her small town. And she can't seem to understand anything about him, despite how much she tries.
​ Nari hates everything about her life, except for her best friend Rydan, but now that they've been separated during their senior year of high school, she has to learn to make new friends without him. When strange, unexplainable phenomena start becoming an every day part of her life, Nari struggles to come to grips with reality. And with love.

~

Naminé has responsibilities. Duties. It is her obligation to fulfill all that is asked of her by their King. But when a glimmer of hope is introduced to her by a prisoner she tends to, it means life or death for her and her people. She does all that she can to turn that hope into reality, and finally end the vicious war that has been ensuing since she was born. Even if that means keeping it secret from her King. Even if it means carrying out the biggest betrayal against the King ever seen during her time.

She has hope. She will fulfill her duty. She will not let her people down.



My Thoughts:

I don't even know where to begin!  This book was just so FREAKING DOUBLE OVER THE TOP AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first thing that drew my attention to the book was the title and cover.  I mean seriously, that is an insanely gorgeous cover, and I just fell in love with it.  I am still having a hard time deciding what I love more: the cover or the actual story?  It's so hard to choose!
; )

But moving on, this was truly a unique story and the alternating view points between the two characters, Nariella and Namine, both from two very different worlds was just extra awesome sauce on an already awesome story.

I'll be honest, and say that at times (very, very, very rarely), Nariella kind of annoyed me because she was very emotional and she cried often, but only when it got to a point where she could no longer keep a hold on her emotions.  In most cases, any character that's just too overemotional and cries at every little thing would seriously annoy me, but in Nari's case, I totally understood her emotions, and was okay with her crying so much.  She was abused both physically and mentally since she was just six years old, that too by her foster father who was a drunk and blamed her for the death of his loving and caring wife, which Nari had unintentionally and accidentally caused.  She has been alone ever since, with the exception of her one best friend- Rydan.  She had also been bullied in school because she was different and had purple eyes.   My heart just went out to Nari. I just loved Nari, even after everything she went through, she was still so strong and managed to find happiness in the things she loved, despite the darkness that surrounded her life.

Mycah was his swoon worthy and caring, yet dark and mysterious self throughout most of this book, and I loved him for that.  He was the perfect blend of everything that you would want in a supernatural boyfriend.  His character was described and written very nicely throughout the entire book.  I wish I could say the same about Rydan, but unfortunately, Rydan's character was very secretive. And although I would have liked to know a little bit more about him, I am happy with the way his character was written because it was one of the major things that made me want to continue reading the story.  The whole mystery with Rydan was pretty interesting and cool, but I am hoping to get to know him a little better, and understand his character more in the next book.

Overall, this book had the perfect amount of action, suspense, mystery, romance, and it was just perfect!  The pacing of the story wasn't too fast or slow.  Bailey Ardisone is one of my favorite authors, and I just love her writing style, characters, and the ability to create such unique stories!  You all have to read this book, it's one of the best and one of my top favorites.  Plus this book is free, so you have nothing to loose!  I loved this book and can't wait to read the next one!

1 comment:

  1. This book really appeals to me! I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. The link below should take you to see my questions:

    http://thebooksbuzz.blogspot.com/2014/06/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )