Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Apollyon (The Covenant #4) Review

Title: Apollyon

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Genre: Paranormal Romance

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 4.5 / 5


Goodreads Summary:

Fate isn’t something to mess with… and now, neither is Alex.

Alex has always feared two things: losing herself in the Awakening and being placed on the Elixir. But love has always been stronger than Fate, and Aiden St. Delphi is willing to make war on the gods—and Alex herself—to bring her back.

The gods have killed thousands and could destroy entire cities in their quest to stop Seth from taking Alex’s power and becoming the all-powerful God Killer. But breaking Alex’s connection to Seth isn’t the only problem. There are a few pesky little loopholes in the whole “an Apollyon can’t be killed” theory, and the only person who might know how to stop the destruction has been dead for centuries.

Finding their way past the barriers that guard the Underworld, searching for one soul among countless millions, and then somehow returning will be hard enough. Alex might be able to keep Seth from becoming the God Killer… or she might become the God Killer herself.



My Thoughts:

Where should I start?  Since I have been reviewing this entire Covenant Series in order, I feel like I have been repeating myself a lot, but the books are so good that my opinions about them never changes.  This book is no exception.

The epic romance, actions, suspense, pretty much everything was more intense than it had been in the previous books.  There were lots of death and destruction but the unique humor Jennifer always writes into her books were still present between the characters.

As always, Alex was her usual spunky and fierce self, even when she was under Seth's influence, who by the way is still drunk in his need for power.  I was hoping that in this book Seth would realize what he was doing was wrong, and change over to the sane side.  However, that was not the case.  Hopefully, Seth comes to his senses before it's too late.  Aiden also stayed the same overprotective, loving, caring, [insert word of choice here] self.  His love for Alex is truly remarkable.  Moving on, the other characters such as Deacon and Luke were hilarious as well as Apollo.  This book also focused a little bit more on Marcus, Laden, and Lea, and I felt that I was able to understand their characters much better.  Surprisingly, I no longer hate Lea, which came as a huge shock to me because she was such a mean character in the last books and I was sure that I would always dislike her very much.  However, Jennifer being the talented and awesome writer she is, was able to change my mind, which is another reason why I absolutely adore and love her books!

The pacing, mood, story line that Jennifer had set for this book was perfect and I was sucked into the story right from the beginning.  The endless suspense, and twisters made this book really interesting.  This was another one of Jennifer's awesome books and I loved it!


Quotes:

“We had no idea what waited ahead of us, other than the big, fat unknown, and most likely a big, fat kick in the face. The gravity of that was killing me-killing us

I squared my shoulders. "Release the Kraken!"

Several sets of eyes settled on me.

"What?" I gave a lopsided shrug. "I've always wanted to yell that since I saw that movie. Seemed like the perfect moment.”
 


***

“What is it with the St. Delphi brothers and their attraction to halfs?”

***

“Whatever you do, don't break my brother's heart. You are his world. And if you leave it, it will destroy him.”

***

“Deacon laughed. "Oh, you're so going to be the next person who gets hit. I'm putting money on that."

"You need to add yourself to that list." Aiden looked about seventy-percent serious.
"And I'm putting money on that," Luke threw in.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )