Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Sentinel (The Covenant #5) Review

Title: Sentinel                                                                                               
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Genre: Paranormal Romance

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 5 / 5



Goodreads Summary:

It's a beautiful day for a war.

As the mortal world slowly slips into chaos of the godly kind, Alexandria Andros must overcome a stunning defeat that has left her shaken and in doubt of their ability to end this war once and for all.

And with all the obstacles between Alex and her happily-ever-after with the swoonworthy Aiden St. Delphi, they must now trust a deadly foe as they travel deep into the Underworld to release one of the most dangerous gods of all time.

In the stunning, action-packed climax to the bestselling Covenant series, Alex must face a terrible choice: the destruction of everything and everyone she holds dear… or the end of herself.



My Thoughts:

I LOVED every single page of this book!  

I think this book is my second most favorite (Half Blood is my top favorite- read my review HERE) out of the entire series, and one of my all time favorites out of every other book that Jennifer has written which I have read.


The suspense, action, romance, all the emotions in this book was unlike anything I had ever read in the previous books of this series.  Everything was just so much more intense, and one of my main reasons for loving Jennifer's books is because of her creative writing style.  The emotions that her characters feel in the stories are so raw and strong that the readers can feel them too.  I love reading books that really brings out all the emotions and intensity of the different situations that's presented throughout the story, and forces the reader to experience it as well.  It was just perfect!

As usual I loved all the characters, and I loved that we readers got to see a very vulnerable side of Alex, especially in the beginning of this book.  She wasn't just a female protagonist that could save the world, and no matter what came her way, she always stayed strong.  She had her insecure moments, fear, worry for her loved ones and even for herself, and there were moments where she broke down and felt that she couldn't go on anymore, but at the end she was able to get back up on her feet.  All these things made Alex's character seem more real and relatable and I loved that.  I was also very glad to see that Seth had in fact realized his mistakes and changed over to becoming a good person again.  Without spoiling anything, I would just like to say that even though what Seth did in the previous books was unforgivable, he still tried very hard and to a point did make amends to rectify his mistakes.  Not that it excused any of the bad things he did, but still it was nice to see that he had truly changed.  Like with Alex, we also got to see a vulnerable side of Seth and it really helped in understanding his character and why he had made the choices he made no matter how wrong they were.

Overall, everything else stayed pretty much the same.  The pacing was perfect, the suspense, romance, action, humor, writing style, just about everything that Jennifer always puts into her stories was perfect.  This book had a more serious tone to it, with many deaths and losses, but it had it's funny moments as well.  The ending was a shocker for me, and I was actually crying while reading the ending because it just didn't seem that fair after everything Alex and Aiden went through.  However, I understand why it had to end the way it ended, and am actually very satisfied and happy with the ending.  The ending of this book is also what sealed the rating of 5 out of 5 from me, because it stayed realistic in the sense that not everything is always fair or perfect in life, and there are many deaths and losses that people face in real life. (That was also probably the first and last cheesiest sentence that I am going to write for this review).

I loved the entire Covenant Series and even though I was sad that this was the last book in the series, I am still very happy with how everything turned out.


Quotes:

“My jaw dropped open. “Holy crows…”

“There’s a couple of eagles mixed in there,” Luke commented.
"And a few hawks,” Aiden added.

I rolled my eyes. “Okay. Holy birds of prey! Is that better?”

“Much,” Aiden murmured.” 

***


“Okay. I’ll admit, I slept or doodled through most of my classes. I have no idea who you’re talking about.” 

***


“Did no one ever tell you two that it is not nice to communicate telepathically with one another while others are present?”

***


“Poor Persephone." He stared down his nose at the god. "That must be hard on her if that’s what gets you off."
I wrinkled my nose.
"If her name drips from your forked tongue one more time, I will rip it out," Hades promised, voice deadly low.
Was his tongue really forked?
His lips curled up on one side. "What? You don’t like me talking about your wife?" He looked over at the three of us. "Is abduction as a means of marriage still all the rage these days?"
Seth arched a brow.
"Uh… no,” I said, shaking my head. "It’s really frowned upon.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )