Friday, June 27, 2014

Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) Review

Title: Shatter Me                                 

Author: Tahereh Mafi

Genre: Science Fiction

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 5 / 5



Goodreads Summary:

I have a curse
I have a gift

I am a monster
I'm more than human

My touch is lethal
My touch is power

I am their weapon
I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.



My Thoughts:

This book was AMAZING!

I saw this book around a few times but never picked it up because it just didn't seem like something I'd like to read.  But after seeing all the high ratings and good reviews I decided to give this book a chance and I am so glad that I have read it.

Tahereh Mafi is such an excellent writer.  Her writing style is very refreshing and different and I really liked how she used it to bring her characters to life.  One of my favorite things about this book was how descriptive everything was.  She is by far the only author who I think really has the whole "show don't tell" thing mastered, and that makes this book even more unique and stood out from others.  This is the type of book where you want to read every single detail and word no matter how eager you are to move on to the next page and find out what happens, and I mean that in a good way.  Personally, when I read a book, even the really good ones I sometimes skip over some of the details that the main characters is using to describe a place, or thing, etc. because I just really want to read what happens next.  And I think I do that because no matter how good the writing is, sometimes it just feels like the writer is telling you instead of showing.  But in this book I made sure to read every single word on the pages because I just loved the way everything was written!

I loved all the characters, even Warner (the evil guy)! I mean I loved how all the characters were written and how they developed throughout the story.  The characters and their personality were written in layers, and as you read on those layers starts to unravel and you truly get to see them.  I really loved the characters, and I have a feeling that there's more to Warner's story than just what's shown in this book, and I can't wait to read more about him in the next book.

The overall story was very interesting.  The suspense, mystery, action, romance, emotions, everything was in this book.  It was a very different type of book in its own way with well developed characters, interesting storyline, and amazing writing.  Juliette's story will leave you at the edge of your seat, and keep you turning the pages until the very last word.  I loved this book and it's definitely a must read!


Quotes:

“Raindrops are my only reminder that clouds have a heartbeat. That I have one, too.” 

***

“Find me a cure for these tears, I'd really like to exhale for the first time in my life.” 

***

“The sun drops into the ocean and splashes browns and red and yellows and oranges into the world outside my window.” 

***

“I saw the world and its lack of compassion, its harsh, grating judgment, and its cold, resentful eyes.” 


2 comments:

  1. Ive seen this book around for a while also but was ify about whether or not to read it. Those quotes really sparked an interest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is now one of my new favorite books of all time. I really loved it!

      I hope you enjoy this book if you decide to read it! : )

      Delete

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )