Monday, August 18, 2014

Midnight Runes (The Bestowed Ones #1) Review

Title: Midnight Runes                                                
 
Author: Celeste Buie

Genre: Paranormal Fiction

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 4 / 5


 
Goodreads Summary:

WHEN YOUR FUTURE’S AT STAKE, DO YOU FOLLOW YOUR HEAD OR HEART?

Brynn Emerson has always been in control of her life—until a mysterious stranger invades her dreams and her boyfriend, Trevor, suddenly dumps her.

Life gets more complicated when secretive newcomer Landon shows up at school. The playful and handsome Landon is somehow connected to Brynn’s ex-boyfriend.

Determined to find out how they know each other, Brynn draws closer to Landon…only to realize too late that she's risking more than she thought possible.

Meanwhile, a person of power has his sights on Brynn. Will Trevor and Landon work together to keep her safe? Or will she be pulled against her will into their mysterious world?


My Thoughts: 
*** I was provided with a copy of this book through Expresso Book Tours in return for an honest review ***


This was a very interesting story and really different from what I had expected after reading the summary.  It had enough mystery and a creative story line to keep me hooked until the end.  There were so many things that I really liked and also disliked in this book, but for the most part it was an overall good story.

Some of the things I really enjoyed reading in this book were that Brynn's parents were very present in her life.  They weren't the totally overprotective or nosy type but they were still there in the story.  In most young adult books that I have read, the parents are basically non existent and have no idea about what going on.  In this book however, Brynn's parents were aware of what was going on in Brynn's life and they were very supportive while also managing to not be nosy or trying to force their opinion on her.  They were very laid back and willing to let Brynn figure things out herself and make her own decisions.  The romance between Landon and Brynn were another one of my favorite part things about this book.  It wasn't instant or that just in two weeks of knowing each other they were in love.  It was developed really nicely throughout the entire story while Brynn and Landon got to know each other before finally letting themselves realize their feelings for each other.  I loved the banter between Landon and Brynn and their willingness to acknowledge the fact that they both had ulterior motives for being around each other at first.  The mystery surround Landon and Trevor made this story really interesting and kept me hooked wanting to know what would happen next.

As for the things that I didn't really enjoy in this book were the fact that the story seemed to be moving too fast before anything could be fully developed.  The story seemed to jump too quickly from one scene to the next, from one day to the next without really going into details about certain things that I felt could have been explained further.  I also didn't really like how Brynn reacted to certain revelations.  The things she learned were pretty life changing and although it was obvious that she was very curious to know more, it still felt like she was too accepting of everything that she was told too quickly.  It also annoyed me that once Landon finally told her everything she seemed to be very fine with it and jumped in without really fully knowing everything about it or bothering to find out more.  My biggest problem with this book though was that there were several places where I was confused about what was happening and had to go back a few pages to understand it, and even then I was still confused and unclear about some things.  This was mostly due to the fact that the story seemed to be moving ahead too fast without really letting the reader understand what was exactly happening.

This book has left me with mixed feelings about how I really feel toward the story, but nevertheless it was a still a very interesting story and I am looking forward to finding out what happens in the next book in this series.  Midnight Runes felt more of a prequel or introduction to Landon's and Trevor's world than an actual story because it didn't really have a big climax or plot.  It was mostly Brynn trying to find out what Landon and Trevor were hiding and how she was involved in all of that mystery.  Overall, I still enjoyed reading this book despite the several problems I had with it, and am very curious to see where the story goes in the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )