Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Undertow (Undertow #1) Review

Title: Undertow  
                                       
Author: K.R. Conway

Genre: Paranormal Fiction

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 4 / 5



Goodreads Summary:

Eila Walker knows luck is not a friend, so she is downright shocked to inherit a million-dollar Cape Cod home. And yeah, her new town isn't perfect: the cheerleaders are heinous clones, the local undertow can kill ya, and her Great Grams was supposedly fried by lightning in the harbor square. Still, Eila is hopeful her luckless days are in the past . . . until history decides to repeat itself. 

When drool-worthy Raef O'Reilly becomes her friendly, yet weirdly protective shadow, Eila thinks life is pretty darn perfect - until she is hauled beneath the waves by an unnatural undertow. Revealing coal-black eyes and iron-like strength as he rescues her, Raef can no longer hide what he is . . . or what she can do. Eila, last of her kind, can supposedly channel the power of human souls, while Raef is more adept at stealing them. Even worse, the legend about her ancestor isn't such a myth, since Eila's grandmother was one kick-butt warrior until her lightning-like power backfired. A power that is written all over Eila's DNA. 

Determined to stay one step ahead of a dangerous clan that is hunting her, Raef, along with three unlikely allies, will do all they can to protect her. But as hidden pieces of their brutal histories unravel, Eila begins to understand just what went down in the harbor square and that she may be forced to follow in her grandmother's fearless footsteps to save those she loves.


My Thoughts:
*** I received a free review copy of this book from YA Bound Book Tours in exchange for an honest review***


Filled with mystery, action, suspense, and sweet heartwarming romance this book pulled me right into the story from page one and didn't let me put it down until the very end!  This was such an interesting book with a really unique storyline that I have rarely read about before.  It was nice taking a break from the usual paranormal topics and diving into this world of the Lunaterra and Mortis.

I loved reading Eila's story!  Eila was a great character with not only a strong firece and fiesty side, but also a very funny, sweet, and caring side as well.  It's very easy to relate to Eila and the emotions she feels throughout this book.  And Raef.... I don't how to describe him other than a super loyal, caring overprotective bodyguard who happens to be very hot.  His determination to protect Eila was just so very sweet!  Plus, I loved reading how their relationship slowly developed from strangers to friends, and finally to a couple.  Aside from these two, I loved all the other supporting characters, namely Kian, Ana, and MJ.  They were all so protective and supporting of Eila, and even though they aren't the main characters of this book, they still had a lot of depth, especially Ana and Kian.  I have to admit that although I was totally engrossed in Eila and Raef's story, I still sometimes found my mind wondering to Kian and Ana's story.  I was and still am curious about how Kian and Ana met and what really happened to make them the way they are now.

The storyline was filled with suspense, mystery, and twists and turns all throughout the book.  I really enjoyed reading this book and recommend it to anyone who loves paranormal stories, because this book will most definitely hook you in and not let you go until the very end!


2 comments:

  1. This book really does sound wonderful. It is so refreshing to find new, original paranormal ideas. I find myself growing tired of the typical werewolf, vampire, angels/demons stories. I also really enjoy characters that have spunk, as I am relatively introverted. I find myself being drawn to the 'speak your mind' female characters! This book sounds really original and creative, and I already went over to Goodreads and added it to my TBR shelf. Do you know if this is going to be a series, or a stand alone novel? Just curious!
    Wonderful review as always girl!
    Morrighan @ Elysian Fields Reviews ( http://ufbooks.blogspot.com )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! This is book one in the Undertow series, Stormfront is the second book. I hope you enjoy this book once you start reading it! : )

      Delete

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )