Sunday, November 16, 2014

Against The Darkness (Cimmerian Moon #1) Review

Title: Against The Darkness                                                      
 
Author: A.M. Griffin

Genre: Dystopian Fiction

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 4.5 / 5 



Goodreads Summary:

This one time, at band camp…aliens invaded earth. Sounds like a bad riff on an old joke, doesn’t it? Unfortunately for me and my friends, it’s all too true. I thought a mess like this only happened in the movies but, as I watch the alien ships hovering over the major cities, I suddenly realize I’m a thousand miles away from my Mom. From home. From safety.

Darkness may have fallen over the world, but I won’t let it claim me. I’ll do anything I have to get back to Michigan. Yet nothing could prepare me for what we find on our trek north from Tallahassee. There’s hardly anything the aliens haven’t bombed. Survival, at any cost, is the name of the game for the few people who haven’t been killed or captured. As if trying to stay free and alive isn’t enough, I think I just met the love of my life. And he’s just the kind of bad boy who’ll tear down the walls I’ve built around my heart—then break it.
  



My Thoughts:
***I received a review copy of this book from YA Bound Book Tours in exchange for a honest review***

This is one of those books that will keep you at the edge of your seat throughout the entire reading... well, except for maybe like the first few pages where we are first being introduced to the story.  But after that, it's pretty much none stop action, suspense, and pretty much everything that you might expect to find in a book about aliens taking over, only that this book is so much more than that.  I read this book in one sitting!  I started reading this book at around eleven at night until around four thirty in the morning when I finally finished it.  It was that good of a book!

I really enjoyed the storyline of this book and the characters.  Plus, this book was more original than most other alien books where all the aliens are "super hot."  Not that I have anything against super hot aliens, but it was refreshing to read a book where aliens are portrayed as slimy yellow creatures instead of super good looking, human like species that are really advanced in pretty much everything.  

As for the characters, I felt that they were portrayed very truthfully.  Most of the characters that Sinta, the main character, travels with are high school students, Sinta included, and everyone pretty much acted like their age.  They weren't childish or anything, and they had to handle things maturely and act wisely, but that didn't just suddenly make them into super mature, wise, and adult like either.  They still behaved like high school students and got into stupid fights and arguments, but at the end of the day they stuck together and helped each other out.

The overall story was pretty interesting.  And with all the actions and suspense this book pretty much kept me at the edge of my seat.  The light humor every once in a while, and the light romance mixed into the story also helped make this book super interesting and enjoyable to read!  I loved this story and am definitely looking forward to reading the next book in this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )