Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Book Spotlight: Enlightened & Perception By A.L. Waddington




Title: Enlightened (Eve Series #2)

Author: A.L. Waddington

Genre: Science Fiction, Time Travel

Publication Date: April 21, 2014




The barrier between Jocelyn Timmons consciousness continues to dissolve as she better understands the two lives she lives and enormity of her newly discovered inherited gift of EVE (Essence Voyager Era) which allows her to fall asleep on one plane of existence and awaken on another as her soul travels nightly.

Present-day Jocelyn uncovers the vast wonderment of the Victorian era but soon learns that life then was not as grand for women as she has read in the classics. Still, she finds comfort in the support of family and friends; a bolstering contrast to her overly hectic, career-oriented family in the twenty-first century. Her love for Jackson Chandler strengthens across time and becomes the light she so desperately needs as the world she has always known no longer makes sense. Yet, the closer she is drawn to Jackson by their mutual ability, the more strain develops amongst those she loves in 2009. 



On the other side of Jocelyn’s consciousness in 1878, she remains ignorant of EVE. Her life is crumbling around her, yet she finds herself anxiously awaiting the images that invade her dreams. Jocelyn longs to be the woman she portrays in that world yet her jealousy is unbearable. Miscommunication, betrayal and hidden agendas make trust near impossible. The clearer the visions become the more she questions motives of her closest confidants and foregoes revealing the images that plague her perception. As her life seems to unravel, Jocelyn’s two worlds collide, and she is enlightened as the pieces start to fall into place. But is she strong enough to survive the truth? Is Jackson really her destiny? And can their love transcend time? 



Excerpts:

     “Is life really easier there?” That world fascinated me so much and I wanted to learn everything about it.
     “It is in some ways, yet in other…not at all. It’s almost sad in some of the ways the world has changed. Yes, we have washing machines and clothes dryers and our laundry is done now with the push of a button. We have the ability to get to any destination either across the country or around the world by driving a car or flying in an airplane. We have microwaves that can cook an entire dinner in five minutes, cell phones that fit in our pockets that give us the ability to talk to anyone in the world at the push of a button, but none of that seems to replace all that was lost. Things like family values, spending time with your family on Sundays after church, living close to them and being involved in their lives. Working out marital problems rather than just giving up and filing for a divorce. Morals and values seem not to exist nearly as much there. People have sexual relationships with individuals they have only known for a few hours and never see again. Kids bring guns to school and shoot their peers. Most mothers work outside the home and have flourishing careers of their own because things are so expensive that it takes two incomes to survive. Therefore, children grow up in daycare centers and only see their parents in the evenings for a few hours and weekends. And typically during that time, the children are involved in some sort of extracurricular activity so the family grabs dinner from a fast food restaurant and hardly ever eat a meal at the table with one another. There simply are not enough hours in the day to allow for it. People are rushed, tired, irritable, and never happy with what they have.”
     “That sounds horrific!” My mind could not fathom living such a life.
     “Of course, there are always exceptions. Not every family is like that.”



***



     "Some people with EVE believe that the positive symptoms of experiencing hallucinations, delusions, and oddities of perception are actually the individual seeing and hearing episodes as the barrier begins to break down between the two consciousnesses. The absence of emotions, jumbled words and lack of ability to adjust and relate to their ever-changing perception of reality is believed to be the result of a deep depression brought about by their inability to cope. It is believed, by some, that their fall from grace and the bizarre report of their symptoms leads physicians to diagnose schizophrenia,” Robert explained.
     “All of that makes sense if they had inherited EVE. I experienced all of those things,” I interjected.
     “But if no one was there to explain it to you, guide you through the transition, there is a good chance you would be lost also,” Emily added.
     “Yes, I can see that.” The mere thought gave me the chills. I honestly couldn’t imagine going through this alone. “But what if a physician, who also had EVE, was there to guide them?”
     “Most individuals who have EVE, that we know of anyway, tend to shy away from the medical profession. It tends to be incredibly frustrating leaving the person feeling more helpless than anything else.” Robert gestured helplessly, but I looked at him with confusion.
     “Why? That doesn’t make any sense.”
     “Everyone’s time period varies. Some are a great deal more extensive than ours. For us, it varies over a hundred and thirty years, give or take, but there are some that vary as much as five hundred or more. The most I have ever heard of was seven hundred years. In the medical profession, imagine that you had learned and been trained within the current era and you have almost completed your education when the barriers begin to crumble. Let’s say your family is there for you and you make a smooth transition into both your realities. Let’s also say you now conceive that you live in the time of the American Revolution and are also a physician there. However, everything that you know you can perform to help save the lives of patients in 2009 is not available, neither the instruments nor the medications. You have virtually no ability to do what you have been trained to do. You would feel completely frustrated by the extreme limitations of the circumstances, which in turn, leaves you feeling utterly helpless,” Robert painted a grim picture.
     “The majority of those with EVE, somehow unconsciously, have the same professions in both their existences,” Jackson added with a chuckle. “Of course, there are some exceptions.”





Buy Enlightened At:





Title: Perception (Eve Series #3)

Author:  A.L. Waddington

Genre: Science Fiction / Time Travel

Publication Date: October 20, 2014



Goodreads Summary:

Questions, questions, and more questions... they consume Jocelyn Timmons’ life—both of them. Questions that never seem to have an answer. They haunt her, eat at her, and dreams of a normal senior year of high school have finally floated away into nothingness.

Inheriting the gift of EVE (Essence Voyager Era) has become both a gift and a curse. One that Jocelyn doesn’t know if she wants or can accept. The world she once knew and thrived in has all but disappeared in the last two months. And now she wonders if she can ever find her way home again.

Her fiancé, Jackson Chandler, and his family seem to be the only ones who understand what she’s going through besides her uncles, both of which she’s grown very close to. But even they do not fully grasp how turbulent the situation at home has become. Will Jocelyn survive the torments from her mother and brother? Or will she find a hidden key to finally unlock her golden cage?



Excerpts:

     Jackson came over a little before three in the afternoon. I had been trying 
to focus on reading Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility, but I couldn’t concentrate on it and kept rereading the same paragraph over and over again. I was thrilled when he showed up and I happily tossed the book aside.
 “Where have you been all day?” I rushed into his eager arms.
 “Doing a little holiday shopping,” he laughed, flashing me a brilliant smile. “Guess you missed me.”
 “Only a little,” I teased and kissed him on the cheek.
 “I would have been here sooner, but my sister stopped by with Wallace. She told me something rather interesting about your conversation this morning.” He gave me a coy smile.
 “Really? What did she say?” I wasn’t sure if he was referring to my inquisition into her lifestyle or my slip-up.
 “Only that I need to spend a little more time monitoring your vocabulary,” he laughed.
 “I had a minor slip this morning,” I grinned and shrugged.
 “Something about a carbon copy and flipping out,” he whispered before laughing loudly.
 “Oh, stop it!” I playfully slapped him on the arm. “It could have been much worse.”
 “True.”
 “I am sorry. I said it without thinking first. It was stupid.”
 “Yes, it was. But understandable.”
 “Perhaps, but I will need to be more careful. This is all so incredibly strange. I do not feel like myself the majority of the time. I know things that I shouldn’t and have no clue of why or how I know them. It’s the most bizarre feeling,” I half complained.
 “It will be that way for a while, I’m sorry to say. But you will have to be more cautious of your vocabulary until the barrier is completely dissolved.”
 “I feel as if I don’t know what is real and what is not anymore. I cannot seem to differentiate reality from memory. It’s frustrating to know things that are to come but not be able to explain how I know them.” I looked over at Jackson with pleading eyes. “Does that make any sense?”
 “To anyone who did not know better, no,” he laughed and put his arm around me. “But to me, yes. It makes perfect sense.”


***

 My mind was a whirlwind of thought as I tried to settle down for the evening. Mimi was setting out my gown for tomorrow morning and I watched her carefully moving about my room. It was strange to think of not having her in my life every day. Not to have her as my voice of reason when I was set on being stubborn and bullheaded was unchartered territory. Even when I was behaving my worst, Mimi was always there to bring me around and force me to see things from a different perspective. I always loved her for it later, but I hated it at the time.
 She kissed me gently on the forehead and dimmed the oil lamp while Eddie put a couple logs on the fire before they both left me for the night. I rolled over and watched the moonlight dance amongst the trees displaying their beautiful waltz along my bedroom walls. Part of my mind knew this was a familiar ritual for me in my other world as well except the shadows were larger because the trees just outside my windows were so much older there and shaped differently from being trimmed back against the house.
 My mind was like a jigsaw puzzle with several essential pieces still missing to make it complete. Without those pieces, I felt like I couldn’t rest with any real peace. There were still so many unanswered questions, things that flashed before me that I didn’t recognize or understand. Strange objects and weird things that made no sense haunted me nearly every waking hour. In a vague attempt, I closed my eyes and tried to splice together everything I had seen and been told recently to picture what exactly my life was like in 2009. It was hard to fathom how drastically different it really was. Thinking of having a family that was not closely bonded, gadgets that practically do any and everything for you, devices to talk to people anywhere at any time, choices, opinions, and actual freedom were more than my nineteenth century mind could comprehend. I couldn’t help but think about when the barrier was finally demolished; would combining such different worlds in one person even be possible? I knew the Chandlers dealt with it as commonplace, but somehow I didn’t know if I could ever be so graceful.


Buy Perception At:





About The Author:


I grew up in a small town in Indiana and always had a vivid and overactive imagination. I have a strong passion for music and can be found “dancing” around my house when no one’s home. I am notorious for blowing the speakers out on my car. I’ve been known to surprise my children with Jell-O balloon fights and to pull “devious” pranks on my close friends. I have a slight addiction to coffee and gummy bears and am firm believer in the theory of organized chaos.
I also write two drastically different series. My EVE series is YA fiction with a cross over into time travel, paranormal mysticism, and romance. The first book, Essence rereleased last January and the second book, Enlightened released in April. The third book, Perception is due to release in October. My With Honors series is a sultry psychological erotica series. The first book, What I Really Learned in College, is due to release in July and the second, Making the Dean’s List, in currently slated for release in December.
- See more at: http://alwaddington.com/the-author/#sthash.nAmWNLyx.dpuf
I grew up in a small town in Indiana and always had a vivid and overactive imagination. I have a strong passion for music and can be found “dancing” around my house when no one’s home. I am notorious for blowing the speakers out on my car. I’ve been known to surprise my children with Jell-O balloon fights and to pull “devious” pranks on my close friends. I have a slight addiction to coffee and gummy bears and am firm believer in the theory of organized chaos.
I also write two drastically different series. My EVE series is YA fiction with a cross over into time travel, paranormal mysticism, and romance. The first book, Essence rereleased last January and the second book, Enlightened released in April. The third book, Perception is due to release in October. My With Honors series is a sultry psychological erotica series. The first book, What I Really Learned in College, is due to release in July and the second, Making the Dean’s List, in currently slated for release in December.
I love playing sports; mainly basketball, volleyball, and softball. Also, I am extremely proud to be the team captain for the Happy Hooters in the Striking Out Cancer, annual Ladies Softball Tournament hosted by the Sweet Melissa Foundation.
When I’m not hiding behind my laptop or buried in a book, I can be found working in my gardens, cheering on my favorite team, the Indianapolis Colts, or trying to lose that last stubborn ten pounds. I graduated with my BS in psychology from Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis. My son is a Sargent in the Army currently deployed in Kuwait. I have one daughter in college and one in her last year of high school. My husband, Ty and I also have a three puppies and an oversized cat aptly named Chubbies.
- See more at: http://alwaddington.com/the-author/#sthash.8aCrTc9v.dpuf
I grew up in a small town in Indiana and always had a vivid and overactive imagination. I have a strong passion for music and can be found “dancing” around my house when no one’s home. I am notorious for blowing the speakers out on my car. I’ve been known to surprise my children with Jell-O balloon fights and to pull “devious” pranks on my close friends. I have a slight addiction to coffee and gummy bears and am firm believer in the theory of organized chaos.
I also write two drastically different series. My EVE series is YA fiction with a cross over into time travel, paranormal mysticism, and romance. The first book, Essence rereleased last January and the second book, Enlightened released in April. The third book, Perception is due to release in October. My With Honors series is a sultry psychological erotica series. The first book, What I Really Learned in College, is due to release in July and the second, Making the Dean’s List, in currently slated for release in December.
I love playing sports; mainly basketball, volleyball, and softball. Also, I am extremely proud to be the team captain for the Happy Hooters in the Striking Out Cancer, annual Ladies Softball Tournament hosted by the Sweet Melissa Foundation.
When I’m not hiding behind my laptop or buried in a book, I can be found working in my gardens, cheering on my favorite team, the Indianapolis Colts, or trying to lose that last stubborn ten pounds. I graduated with my BS in psychology from Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis. My son is a Sargent in the Army currently deployed in Kuwait. I have one daughter in college and one in her last year of high school. My husband, Ty and I also have a three puppies and an oversized cat aptly named Chubbies.
- See more at: http://alwaddington.com/the-author/#sthash.8aCrTc9v.dpuf
I grew up in a small town in Indiana and always had a vivid and overactive imagination. I have a strong passion for music and can be found “dancing” around my house when no one’s home. I am notorious for blowing the speakers out on my car. I’ve been known to surprise my children with Jell-O balloon fights and to pull “devious” pranks on my close friends. I have a slight addiction to coffee and gummy bears and am firm believer in the theory of organized chaos.
I also write two drastically different series. My EVE series is YA fiction with a cross over into time travel, paranormal mysticism, and romance. The first book, Essence rereleased last January and the second book, Enlightened released in April. The third book, Perception is due to release in October. My With Honors series is a sultry psychological erotica series. The first book, What I Really Learned in College, is due to release in July and the second, Making the Dean’s List, in currently slated for release in December.
I love playing sports; mainly basketball, volleyball, and softball. Also, I am extremely proud to be the team captain for the Happy Hooters in the Striking Out Cancer, annual Ladies Softball Tournament hosted by the Sweet Melissa Foundation.
When I’m not hiding behind my laptop or buried in a book, I can be found working in my gardens, cheering on my favorite team, the Indianapolis Colts, or trying to lose that last stubborn ten pounds. I graduated with my BS in psychology from Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis. My son is a Sargent in the Army currently deployed in Kuwait. I have one daughter in college and one in her last year of high school. My husband, Ty and I also have a three puppies and an oversized cat aptly named Chubbies.
- See more at: http://alwaddington.com/the-author/#sthash.8aCrTc9v.dpuf
I grew up in a small town in Indiana and always had a vivid and overactive imagination. I have a strong passion for music and can be found “dancing” around my house when no one’s home. I am notorious for blowing the speakers out on my car. I’ve been known to surprise my children with Jell-O balloon fights and to pull “devious” pranks on my close friends. I have a slight addiction to coffee and gummy bears and am firm believer in the theory of organized chaos.
I also write two drastically different series. My EVE series is YA fiction with a cross over into time travel, paranormal mysticism, and romance. The first book, Essence rereleased last January and the second book, Enlightened released in April. The third book, Perception is due to release in October. My With Honors series is a sultry psychological erotica series. The first book, What I Really Learned in College, is due to release in July and the second, Making the Dean’s List, in currently slated for release in December.
I love playing sports; mainly basketball, volleyball, and softball. Also, I am extremely proud to be the team captain for the Happy Hooters in the Striking Out Cancer, annual Ladies Softball Tournament hosted by the Sweet Melissa Foundation.
When I’m not hiding behind my laptop or buried in a book, I can be found working in my gardens, cheering on my favorite team, the Indianapolis Colts, or trying to lose that last stubborn ten pounds. I graduated with my BS in psychology from Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis. My son is a Sargent in the Army currently deployed in Kuwait. I have one daughter in college and one in her last year of high school. My husband, Ty and I also have a three puppies and an oversized cat aptly named Chubbies.
- See more at: http://alwaddington.com/the-author/#sthash.8aCrTc9v.dpuf
A.L. Waddington completed her undergraduate studies at University of Texas Dallas and Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis with a BS in Psychology. Angela and her husband, Ty, have a son, two daughters, a puppy, and an oversized cat. They reside in Indiana. 




Follow A.L. Waddington At:

I grew up in a small town in Indiana and always had a vivid and overactive imagination. I have a strong passion for music and can be found “dancing” around my house when no one’s home. I am notorious for blowing the speakers out on my car. I’ve been known to surprise my children with Jell-O balloon fights and to pull “devious” pranks on my close friends. I have a slight addiction to coffee and gummy bears and am firm believer in the theory of organized chaos. - See more at: http://alwaddington.com/the-author/#sthash.1ScnSlzZ.dpuf
I grew up in a small town in Indiana and always had a vivid and overactive imagination. I have a strong passion for music and can be found “dancing” around my house when no one’s home. I am notorious for blowing the speakers out on my car. I’ve been known to surprise my children with Jell-O balloon fights and to pull “devious” pranks on my close friends. I have a slight addiction to coffee and gummy bears and am firm believer in the theory of organized chaos.
I also write two drastically different series. My EVE series is YA fiction with a cross over into time travel, paranormal mysticism, and romance. The first book, Essence rereleased last January and the second book, Enlightened released in April. The third book, Perception is due to release in October. My With Honors series is a sultry psychological erotica series. The first book, What I Really Learned in College, is due to release in July and the second, Making the Dean’s List, in currently slated for release in December.
I love playing sports; mainly basketball, volleyball, and softball. Also, I am extremely proud to be the team captain for the Happy Hooters in the Striking Out Cancer, annual Ladies Softball Tournament hosted by the Sweet Melissa Foundation.
When I’m not hiding behind my laptop or buried in a book, I can be found working in my gardens, cheering on my favorite team, the Indianapolis Colts, or trying to lose that last stubborn ten pounds. I graduated with my BS in psychology from Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis. My son is a Sargent in the Army currently deployed in Kuwait. I have one daughter in college and one in her last year of high school. My husband, Ty and I also have a three puppies and an oversized cat aptly named Chubbies.
- See more at: http://alwaddington.com/the-author/#sthash.1ScnSlzZ.dpuf


  

4 comments:

  1. Wow.. the covers alone are enough to make me want to read these books! Yes, I am a cover snob and I'm not ashamed to admit it haha Great post girl, I am definitely going to check out this series.
    Morrighan @ Elysian Fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you! I love the covers for this book! :)

      Delete
  2. Haven't heard of this author or this series but my god the cover is beautiful!
    Naomi @The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? The covers were what caught my eye right away.

      Delete

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )