Sunday, January 18, 2015

Cruel Summer (Undertow # 0.5) By K.R. Conway ARC Review

Title: Cruel Summer                                                            
Author: K.R. Conway

Genre: Paranormal Romance

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 6 / 5




Goodreads Summary:

Kian O’Reilly is flawless as a killer.

Well-practiced in the art of making murder look like an accident, he is selfish, wealthy, and totally arrogant as a soul-stealing immortal. But when he ends up stranded on Cape Cod with a stolen car and a dead drug dealer in the trunk, he thinks his luck couldn’t get any worse.

That is, until Ana Lane shows up.

Gifted as a mechanic and surfer, feisty Ana is not a fan of the entitled Frat Boys who show up every summer, messing with local girls. Believing Kian is one of those typical rich brats, she fixes his car and ruthlessly dismantles his cocky ego . . . which intrigues the dangerous soul thief.

Determined to spend more time with the prickly mechanic, Kian sets out to understand what makes Ana so fierce. Soon, however, he uncovers the painful truth behind the real Ana Lane, and the decision to save her, may destroy them both.

** This is the prequel novella to UNDERTOW and is based on the story of Kian and Ana the summer they met. While it can be read at anytime in the series, it is meant to be read after UNDERTOW and STORMFRONT.*



Expected Publication: March 16, 2015 


My Thoughts:

I have always wanted to read about Ana & Kian's story since I started reading the Undertow series.  And I am so glad that Ms. Conway has decided to write an entire novel about them because honestly, this was over the top amazing!  Ms. Conway has made me fall in love with her wonderful series all over again. I have always been fond of Ana & Kian since the beginning, and reading this book, I understand them so much better now, and love them both so much more.

This is one of the very rare books I have read where all the characters just seems so alive and real.  In fact, it's not just this book, but all the books in the Undertow series.  I love how the characters seems to come alive and makes me feel like I am right there with them throughout the story, and feeling exactly how they felt during certain events.  If you haven't read any of Ms. Conway's books yet, I suggest you do so right now, because it will blow you away!

Cruel Summer had me hooked from page one, and if I could have, I would have read the whole thing in one sitting.  The characters were all so nicely developed, and I really loved how they seem to have grown throughout the story.  I especially loved Ana's character who was strong and fierce, and wasn't afraid to speak up whenever she wanted to.  This is one of the most perfect books I have read in a long time and I am in love with not only this book but also this series.  I can't wait to see what else Ms. Conway has in store for these characters and reading more books by her.

This was an amazing book and I loved it!  And in case you haven't noticed, I rated this book 6 / 5.  I have never before rated a book 6 / 5 since I created this blog and started reviewing books, so that itself should tell you just how amazing this book was to me.  The only problem I have now, is waiting an excruciatingly long time for True North, the third book in the Undertow series, to be released.



Here's two of my favorite scenes from Cruel Summer:


     I finally made my way out of the bedroom and down the hallway to where Kian was waiting in the galley.  He gestured to the glass and chrome kitchen around him.  "Mi casa es su casa."
     "Pfft- tu no tenga una casa.  Tenga un barco grande," I rattled off in dusty Spanish, certain he only knew that one phrase he offered.
     Uh, I was wrong.
     He began talking in rapid fire Spanish and I had no clue what he was saying, though he had an irritatingly sure smile spread on his face as he yammered.
     I raised my hand, stopping him mid monologue. "Okay, okay! I yield.  English, por favor."
    I may lose to you in many ways, Pix, but Spanish? I've got that one down.  Now, what do you want for lunch?


***

    I slipped around his bed to the far side of the room, placing the blanket and pillow on the floor near the wall, and easing my aching body down onto the ground.  Framed by the wall on one side of me, and Kian's bed on the other, I could now keep the monsters at bay.
    This felt safer.  Like no rage could reach me here because I was protected on all sides, like a child stacking stuffed animals around them, a defense against the Boogie Man.



Links To Series Review:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )