Thursday, January 29, 2015

How (Not) To Fall In Love By Lisa Brown Roberts ARC Review

Title: How (Not) To Fall In Love                                      
Author: Lisa Brown Roberts

Genre: Contemporary

Age Group: Young Adult

Release Date: February 3, 2015

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

 
  
Goodreads Summary:
    
Seventeen-year-old Darcy Covington never had to worry about money or where her next shopping spree was coming from. Even her dog ate gourmet. Then one day, Darcy’s car is repossessed from the parking lot of her elite private school. As her father’s business hit the skids, Dad didn’t just skip town, he bailed on his family.

Fortunately, Darcy’s uncle owns a thrift shop where she can hide out from the world. There’s also Lucas, the wickedly hot fix-it guy she can’t stop crushing on, even if she’s not sure they’ll ever get out of the friend zone.

But it’s here among the colorful characters of her uncle’s world that Darcy begins to see something more in herself...if she has the courage to follow it.



My Thoughts:
***I received a ARC of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review***

This book is one of the best contemporary books I have ever read.  I stick to the paranormal genre most of the time, so this was a nice change from the books I usually read and I really loved it.  This was a sweet heartwarming story of a girl finding her way and discovering herself during a hard time in her life.

My favorite part about this story was how it didn't focus entirely on the romance aspect but also included other real life problems that Darcy was facing.  I loved how during everything that was going on, Darcy never lost hope and continued to be strong.  She didn't just give up when it got too hard, but she worked through it and solved the problems life threw at her.  For a seventeen year old, Darcy was very mature and handled everything pretty responsibly and sensibly.  She wasn't afraid to ask for help when she needed it, and she let others help her along the way, instead of just trying to do everything by herself.  I really enjoyed seeing how much Darcy had grown from the beginning of the story to the end.  As for the supporting characters, I really loved Darcy's uncle and Lucus.  Both were great characters and were always there for Darcy.  I really enjoyed how Lucas and Darcy's relationship slowly developed from strangers to friendship, and eventually to something more, although at times it did seem to drag on a little.

The overall story was very interesting and kept me hooked until the end.  I really loved reading this story and watching how Darcy matured throughout this book.  The slow developing romance between her and Lucas was very sweet and heartwarming.  Most of all though, I really loved how strong Darcy was and her ability to face and handle so many tough situations that she was in, bravely and responsibly.  This was an amazing book and I definitely recommend it!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh this seems like my kind of book. I am trying to read more genres of books and I don't read much contemporary so this might start me off! Great Review :)
    Naomi @The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )