Monday, March 30, 2015

Hidden Deep (Hidden Trilogy #1) By Amy Patrick Review


Title: Hidden Deep

Author: Amy Patrick

Genre: Paranormal Fiction

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 3.5 / 5





Give in to the Glamour…

Sixteen-year-old Ryann Carroll has just run into the guy who saved her life ten years ago. You might think she'd be happy to see him again. Not exactly. She's a bit underdressed (as in skinny-dipping) and he's not supposed to exist.

After her father's affair, all Ryann wants is to escape the family implosion fallout and find a little peace. She also wouldn't mind a first date that didn't suck, but she's determined not to end up like her mom: vulnerable, betrayed, destroyed. Ryann's recently moved back to her childhood home in rural Mississippi, the same place where ten years earlier she became lost in the woods overnight and nearly died. 


She's still irresistibly drawn to those woods. There she encounters the boy who kept her from freezing to death that long ago winter night and was nowhere to be seen when rescuers arrived. He's still mysterious, but now all grown-up and gorgeous, too. And the more she's with him, the greater the threat he poses to Ryann's strict policy-- never want someone more than he wants you.

Seventeen-year-old Lad knows the law of his people all too well: Don't get careless and Don't get caught. It's allowed his race to live undetected in this world for thousands of years, mentioned only in flawed and fading folklore…

Lad's never been able to forget about Ryann since that night ten years ago. When he sees her again, his fascination re-ignites and becomes a growing desire that tempts him to break all the rules. He's not even supposed to talk to a human, much less fall in love with one.

And the timing is atrocious. The Assemblage is coming, the rift between the Light and Dark is widening, and mysterious celebrity fan pods are becoming more and more widespread and influential. Lad may have to trade his own chance at happiness to keep the humans, especially Ryann, blissfully unaware and safe.


My Thoughts:
***A big thank you to YA Bound Book Tours and Ms. Patrick for giving me an ARC of Hidden Deep***

When I read the summary for Hidden Deep, I was immediately hooked and knew I had to read it.  I am happy to say that while it wasn't totally what I expected, I still enjoyed reading this book.  The characters were fun, and the storyline was pretty interesting, plus the whole mystery with Lad and Nox kept me hooked.

When I first started this book, I had a hard time getting into it because the beginning seemed to have started out slow, but as I continued reading, the story really picked up the pace and flowed smoothly for the most part.  Like I said before, I really liked the storyline.  The mystery behind who Lad was had me hooked to the book, plus the whole thing with fan pods was also very creative, even the though the story doesn't really go into much details on that.  The paranormal aspect in this book was very unique and creative.  It's not your usual paranormal book.  I have only read about this topic in one other book series.  I am not going to reveal what the paranormal topic is because I don't want to spoil the story for anyone.

As for the characters, they were overall written very nicely.  I loved the different personalities of each characters.  They were all really fun, humorous, caring, and easy to relate with. 

However, there were a few things that kind of bothered me.  One was the romance between Lad and Ryann, which seemed to have developed too quickly.  It's wasn't exactly insta love or anything, but the pace at which their relationship progressed seemed too fast and unrealistic for me.  Nevertheless though, I still loved reading about their friendship and it was nice seeing them interact with each other.  The other thing that bothered me was that many important aspects of the book, which I felt were meant to be surprises, were just instead really predictable.  I had already guessed important revelations in this book before they were even revealed, so there wasn't really that many surprise elements. 

Hidden Deep was a pretty fun book.  It actually felt more like a prequel than an actual first book in the series.  I really hope the next book is going to dive deeper into Lad's world and the fan pods, because I really find those two aspects of the story the most interesting.  Overall, this was good book and I'll definitely be looking forward to reading the next one.  If you like unique paranormal stories, than I definitely recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )