Sunday, June 21, 2015

All Pepped Up (Pepper Jones #2) Review

Title: All Pepped Up    
                                          
Author: Ali Dean

Genre: Contemporary/Romance

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 1.5 / 5



Goodreads Summary:

(This is the second book in the Pepper Jones series. The following description contains spoilers for Pepped Up, which should be read first.)

Pepper Jones knew that being Jace Wilder’s girlfriend wouldn’t be simple. But she didn’t predict just how many complications would arise from his past. Jealous girls?  That she expected. Family secrets? Not so much. At least Pepper can always hit the trails to clear her head… except when it comes to racing.  The high
expectations from her phenomenal cross country season haunt her, and she can’t seem to get psyched up for track season. Pepper’s junior year at Brockton Public is full of challenges on and off the track, but she’s not afraid to face them.

 

My Thoughts:
***I received a free copy of this book from Xpresso Book Tours in return for my honest review***

This book picks up about two months after the events in book one, Pepped Up.  I had decided to pick this book up even though I didn't really enjoy the first one, in hopes that this book might be a little bit better.  Unfortunately, this book wasn't any better than the last one. The story continues from the last book and as with the first one, this seems to just mostly revolve around Piper and her  love life.   

I like reading contemporary romances, but usually those books have a lot more depth to it, which this one completely lacked.  There really wasn't any solid plot points other than Piper having to deal with all the popular mean girls who are after her because she is the one dating Jace.  Also, similar to the first book, this book seemed to just throw in plot points without really taking the time to describe it, and it all becomes resolved way too quickly, like a revelation about Jace and his friend Wes, and another conflict that comes up while everyone is at a party.  Basically, everything that wasn't Piper or her love life with Jace and dealing with popular mean girls, felt rushed.  One of the few things that I had actually liked about the first book was how well the running aspect of Piper's life was described.  But even that seemed that have been taken away in this book.  There were still a lot of scenes that involved Piper and running, and going to meets, but it didn't really feel like it was all that big of a part in this story.  When I saw the covers and read the summary, I expected there to be romance, but I was also expecting there to be more of a story involving Piper and her love for running.  And while there is definitely romance and running involved, the running aspect of Piper's life just didn't really seem to be as important in this book.

I had really hoped to like this series, but it turned out to be one of the rare ones that I just couldn't get into.  However, I would like to mention that Ms. Dean's writing was definitely very good, and although the characters didn't really grow or change, except for maybe Piper, from book one to now, they were still written and their personalities were developed very well.  It was just the overall storyline that I didn't really enjoy.  That being said, for me, this was an 'ok' type of story.  It wasn't absolutely terrible, but it wasn't good either.  This book just wasn't for me, but if you decide to check it out and give it a shot, I hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )