Sunday, June 21, 2015

Pepped Up (Pepper Jones #1) By Ali Dean Review

Title: Pepped Up                                                            
Author: Ali Dean

Genre: Contemporary/Romance

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 2/5


Goodreads Summary:

Pepper Jones is ready for an epic cross country season. She wants to qualify for Nationals, and she’s willing to do anything it takes to make it happen. She can handle long miles and hill sprints, but boys? That’s an entirely different challenge.

Pepper’s never considered revealing her deeper feelings for her longtime friend, Jace Wilder. After all, he’s got the personal magnetism and good looks to hook just about any girl in town -- and he has. Their friendship stands apart from high school social circles, and they’re both just fine with that (or at least they pretend to be).

That is, until running star Ryan Harding moves to town.

When it comes to running, Pepper’s goals are clear. But when it comes to Jace and Ryan, it’s nowhere near as simple.



My Thoughts:
***I was given a free copy of this book from Xpresso Book Tours in return for my honest review***

This was an interesting read, but unfortunately it wasn't what I expected.  I thought it would be a little bit more than just a romance but most of the book was about Pepper's love for her best friend Jace.  It was a very typical storyline where the girl is in love with her best friend, but the best friend doesn't love her, and then she starts dating someone else and suddenly the best friend decides that he does love her.  Like I said, it was a very common storyline that I have read many times before.  It's not that I don't really like reading this type of stories, but just that I was expecting there to be more elements in the mix instead of just total romance.

Also, it seemed to me that there were some plot points that were just randomly thrown into the book. I am not going to mention what those plot points are because I don't want to spoil the story for anyone.  There weren't any developments in the characters either and the ending was very predictable.  Basically, there wasn't anything really new about this story that made this book stand out or had me looking forward to continuing reading it.  I finished reading this book, but every time I had put the book down, there wasn't really much about it that made me want to go back and start reading it again.

However, this book did have some elements which I really liked.  Pepper's an athlete and her determination to win all her meets and do her best felt very real.  Ms. Dean has done a great job in describing the whole running aspect of Pepper's life and the pressure that comes with people expecting you to be the best.  Also, I really liked the different personalities that each character had.  They were all unique in their own way and it was nice to see a wide range of characters, instead of very similar ones.  Overall, this was an ok type of book, but in the end I was still left disappointed by the lack of depth and a solid plot in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )