Saturday, September 19, 2015

Ramblings Of A Bookworm: Being Judged For What You Read

Welcome to the first ever Ramblings Of A Bookworm! This is going to be a weekly post where I basically discuss, rant, ramble on about whatever is running around in my head. :) 


As you can probably tell from the title, today's rant is all about how people like to judge us readers because of what type of books we choose to read.  I have been hearing about this happening a lot lately, and I have definitely had my fair share of it.  I still do. 

Unfortunately, not everyone understands the passion we have for reading and the fact that we don't discriminate when it comes to the books we like to read. I am honestly tired of hearing people tell me the books I read aren't "real" books. I am just sick of hearing this same thing over and over again.  Seriously, what do you mean by "real" book?  According to dictionary.com, two of the definitions for books are:

1) a handwritten or printed work of fiction or nonfiction, usually on sheets of paper fastened or bound together within covers. 

2) a work of fiction or nonfiction in an electronic format

Last time I checked, the books I read fit one or both of these definitions, so technically, I am reading a "real" book.  And you know what, even if it didn't fit those two definitions, like say if an author or friend just handed me a story to read that he/she wrote on their socks or dirty laundry, I'd still consider it a "real" book.  For me, I consider anything that I can read and be transported into a new world, even if only for a few minutes, a "real" book.

I understand that everyone has different preferences when it comes to what they like to read.  But that most definitely does NOT give them the right to judge me or anyone else, just because we aren't reading the type of books that they think are more "important" or my now least favorite word, "real." Just because someone enjoys reading books that aren't necessarily "helpful," "knowledgeable," blah blah blah, doesn't mean that others have the right to tell them that they should be reading something more "worthwhile."

Because guess what? As a book lover and reader, I don't care what they say. I LOVE to read the books of MY preference. I LOVE reading fantasy, sci-fy, dystopian, paranormal, and I could go on, but than this list would never stop.  And do you want to know what else I love to read? I also love to read books with romance.  Yeah, that's right.  I am a sucker for books that has sweet heartwarming, gushy, sappy romance, and I have no shame in admitting that.  

And do you know what the most important thing is about the books that I choose to read? It's that they they are completely, most definitely NOT "important," and have absolutely no purpose whatsoever in trying to load our brains with helpful, or knowledgeable things.  They are written simply to make us laugh until our stomach hurts, cry like what happened in the books are actually real, and make us fall in love with books.

I hate it when someone asks me what type of books I read, and when I reply fiction or something along that genre, they are just like "Oh." And then they proceed to tell me that I should focus more on my studies or other stuff like that, and read more "informational" and "important" books, instead of wasting my time reading "nonsensical fiction novels."

What makes one book or genre more important than others? What makes reading a genre I love stupid, or in any way less than other genres? If someone's purpose for reading is to learn something useful or helpful, than great.  That's their choice, and I respect that.  But my purpose for reading is so that I can be transported to a new world, live someone's else's life for awhile, and take a break from reality when I want to.  Sure, it may not be all "useful" or "helpful" or in anyway "knowledgeable" by others' standards, but for me it's all those things.  For me, the books I read are as real as they can get.  I don't need someone else to tell me that I am not reading "real" books, or what I should be reading.  

I am PERFECTLY HAPPY with what I read and that's never going to change.  Like, someone can offer to pay me a million dollars to stop reading my choice of books, and instead read something more "worthwhile," but I'd still refuse.  I love the books and genre I read, and I am always going to read those. If anyone wants to judge me for it, then fine, they are more than welcome to judge away.  But I don't want them to try to tell me that what I am reading aren't "real books" or what I should be reading. I am happy with the books I read and I don't see that changing anytime soon, so when someone tells me what they think I should be reading, they are just wasting their and my time, because their words just go in through one ear and out through the other.  

What I am trying to say is that, no one should ever make someone feel bad or ashamed of the books they like to read.  If you only enjoy reading non fiction, then that's totally fine.  It's your choice and you should always read what you love.  And the same goes for people who likes to read only fiction, or other genres.  There's no rule saying that people shouldn't read this book or that book, or that one type of book is much better than the other.  You just read whatever books you love.  The only thing that matters is that you have a book you like in your hand, a cozy place to sit and read it, and a hot cup of coffee (or tea, if that's what you prefer). :)

And that is all for this extremely long rant! I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about this. What genres do you like to read, and do you get judged because of it?

2 comments:

  1. I love to read Dystopian novels more than anything, and thankfully I have never been judged on it. However, there are some genres that do get a lot of hate for nothing. Why does someone's taste in books affect your life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a dystopian fan too, but my most favorite genre is paranormal. It's what I find myself reading the most. :) And I definitely agree with you. Everyone has different tastes in books, and I don't see any reason for why some people think it's okay to tell others that they shouldn't be reading the books the like, but sadly some people are just like that.

      Delete

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )