Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Divine Vices By Melissa Parkin Review

Title: Divine Vices                                                 
Author:  Melissa Parkin

Genre: Paranormal Fiction

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 4 / 5



Goodreads Summary:

Danger seldom leaves its victims unscathed in the ways of seduction, and this lesson is one that sixteen-year-old Cassie Foster now knows all too well.

Nine months following the traumatic accident that claimed the life of her mother and sister, this high school junior has at last found a fresh start in the quiet town of New Haven, Maine. In the company of her best friends, Ian and Gwen, she’s bracing the usual turmoil of adolescence and taking all in stride… until the new transfer student, Jackson Matthews, comes walking into her life. He’s arrogant, sarcastic, roguish, devastatingly sexy, and the very last thing Cassie wants to entertain. But when circumstances drive these two together, she finds herself a bit too close for comfort as their bond intensifies. Plagued by unexplainable events, a sudden string of disappearances, and even a cult-related murder, Cassie begins to fear for her life. Is it all just a coincidence that these happenings began when this Casanova strolled into town, or has she in fact fallen for a real lady-killer, or worse?


My Thoughts:
*** I was provided with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review ***

WOW!  This book really surprised me.  All the plot twists, suspense, romance, horror, mystery....this book is one big roller coaster ride which will leave you breathless and dazed at the end, and have you running to buy the sequel right away!

I loved every single second that I spent reading this book.  Right from the start I was hooked to the story and it just kept getting better and better as it went along.  This book had a really nice blend of everything that I love reading in a young adult paranormal book.  It had the mystery, horror and just the perfect amount of romance to make this book a highly enjoyable read!

I absolutely loved all the characters, especially Cassi and her two best friends Ian and Gwen.  They were super funny and supportive of Cassi, and I loved that.  Cassi herself was a very strong main character, and I really enjoyed the arguments she had with Jack and how she stood by what she believed.  Jack on the other hand.... I am not sure what to make of him.  He seems like the good guy but he is just so secretive.  And after everything he did, I just can't figure him out.  But overall, all the characters were really well portrayed.

However, the story did kind of get confusing towards the end.  There were just so many twists that sometimes I couldn't really understand exactly what was happening.  And the love triangle kind of threw me off too.  I am not always a fan of love triangles because in the end one of the characters always ends up getting hurt, and I don't want any of the characters in this book getting hurt, especially Ian.  I never thought that Ian had any feelings for Cassi or vice versa throughout the story, but that was what happened towards the end.  I am still not sure if Cassie chose Ian over Jack because Ian is her best friend, or because she really did have feelings for Ian that she never realized.  I wouldn't have minded if she didn't choose Jack at all in this book because he didn't really seem like a trust worthy character.  But the whole thing with Ian just threw me off.  Either way, I am still very happy with how everything turned out.  And even though the story kind of did confuse me towards the end, I still really loved it because all the plot twists were amazing and added a lot of suspense and mystery to the overall story.

This was a really well written book, and I truly enjoyed reading it.  I should warn you though that this book does end in a cliffhanger.  And like I always say, as much as I hate cliffhangers, I also really love them because they make the story that much more interesting.  I really loved this book, and I can't wait to read the next one.  I am really looking forward to seeing where the story goes from here, and what happens with Jack, Ian, and Cassie!

***Note: This review was originally published on July, 2014***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )