Saturday, October 10, 2015

The Spirit (The Spirit #1) By D. Nichole King Review

Title: The Spirit

Author: D. Nichole King

Genre: Paranormal Fiction/Romance

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 3.5 / 5



Goodreads Summary:

Carrie Reese doesn’t believe in ghosts—until she falls in love with one.

From the moment he walks through the door, a cool breeze surrounds Carrie. She knows Lucas is too good to be true...and he is. Because he’s dead.

Devastated over her parents’ divorce, 17 year-old Carrie is spending the summer with her grandparents in Villisca—the creepiest town in Iowa. Even though it makes her skin crawl, Carrie doesn’t regard the haunting of the infamous Moore House to be anything more than superstition.

Lucas, however, knows exactly why the mysterious farmhouse should be avoided. But that’s not what brings him to town. As a ghost, he cannot cross over into the afterlife until he finds his soul, and there’s someone in Villisca who can help. Instead, he finds Carrie. And there’s something about her that draws him in. Why didn’t he find her sooner? Like, when he was alive?

When the force of their love disrupts the containment spell around the Moore House, the rift to Hell inside the attic opens, releasing the demons. Since love isn’t meant to be shared between the living and the dead, the demons target the lovers, intent on dragging them to where their souls will face eternal destruction.

Sometimes there’s more at risk than merely dying.



My Thoughts:
***A big thank you to Ms. King for giving me a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*** :)
What I loved:

-> The story line:
It was pretty interesting.  I haven't really read any paranormal stories or romance with ghosts yet, so the overall concept of this story seemed pretty interesting to me.  It was actually what made me want to read this book in the first place.

-> The characters: 
I'll admit, sometimes I wasn't really all that happy with Carrie or Lucas because of the way they acted. But really when it comes down to it, they were super nice, caring, and sweet, especially to each other, so it more than made up for the times when they kind of annoyed me.  As for the supporting characters, I really liked Carrie's grandparents.  They were not only super kind, but also very understanding.

Kind Of Had Problems With...

-> The romance: 
Unfortunately, as much as I loved Lucas and Carrie, I just couldn't find the romance between them believable.  It developed way too fast, and seemed way too serious just after a small amount of time.  I am not saying that their relationship wasn't all sweet and heartwarming, but I think it would have been much more convincing if the relationship had progressed a little bit slower, and they had gotten to know each other better instead of just for a little while and then being in love.  

Overall:

This was a pretty interesting, and sweet story.  It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it was good overall.  I am not sure yet if I'll continue on the next book, but I am definitely curious to see where this story goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )