Sunday, November 29, 2015

Girl On The Run By B.R. Myers Review

Title: Girl On The Run                                                                  
Author: B.R. Myers

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age Group: Young Adult

My Rating: 3 / 5



Goodreads Summary:

When seventeen-year-old track and field star Jesse Collins’ dreams of a full scholarship are shattered after the sudden death of her dad, she leaves home to work as a summer camp counselor to escape the small town nosy stares...and her own secret guilt.

After a mix-up at registration, she’s put in charge of a boys’ cabin, and the head counselor, Kirk, predicts she won’t last the first two weeks. In the midst of fending off four twelve-year-old boys who are hell-bent on mortifying her and a growing attraction to Kirk, Jesse finds the inspiration to run again from an unlikely source. But getting her old life back isn't that easy and soon Jesse will realize that a good pair of legs can take a girl far, but she'll never outrun the truth.



My Thoughts:
*** I was given a review copy of this book from YA Bound Book Tours in return for my honest review ***

This book wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but there were definitely a few things about it that I lovedOne of my favorite thing about this book was Allie.  I loved her determination to keep going no matter how hard things got.  I could list all the horrible things she went through and faced, but then the list would never end. No matter how challenging things got or how much humiliation she faced because of the boys in her cabin, she always faced it head on and refused to give up.  Another would have to be the progress between her relationship with the boys in her cabin.  It was really sweet and fun watching how she started to genuinely care about the boys and eventually won them over despite all their antics.  Also I loved how much Spencer grew throughout the book with Allie's helpHer friendship with Lewis and relationship with Kirk was also really sweet!

Unfortunately though, that's pretty much all I liked about this book.  This book had a lot of potential but sadly it fell short.  I was expecting more of a story about Allie and what happened to her dad and how she finds herself again.  However, that wasn't the case.  Most of the story just focused on Allie's time at the camp, facing all the mischief from the boys in her cabin, and her growing relationship with Kirk.  The whole thing about her dad and running didn't even start until halfway through the book.  I also felt like the pacing was pretty off in some places.  Sometimes, the story would just seem to be dragging while at other times it went by fast.  There were also some other stuff that just didn't really go with the story but I am not going to mention those because of spoilers.

Overall, this was an okay bookAlthough this story wasn't exactly what I had been expecting or hoping for, it nevertheless had some really sweet and fun moments that made it enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!
Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment below. They make me really happy and I read all comments. Thank you! : )